ESP/BAS ABS problem liberty 2006 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello a few months ago I´ve got ESP/BAS ABS light on, I changed the rear/right speed sensor and the problem was corrected for a wile...Then lights will come on bumps, now they are back on all time again. I noticed that theres 2 speed sensors one on the wheel and one on the differential (part 52129178AB) is this correct? should I change the differential one as well? or could be something else on the wheel hub?

The scanner will read ERRATIC SIGNAL wires seam to be fine... I also read could be dirty differential oil.

What steps should I take.

Gracias Amigos

Attachments

• JEEP.jpg
    JEEP.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 100

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
How many miles are on the Jeep? Has the rear diff. oil ever been changed?

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are some 'possible' causes :

- Sensor is bad again, maybe You bought an aftermarket one. Go OEM
- Connector is dirty. Clean with a good contact cleaner.
- wires might be broken even if they seem to be OK.

We all are concerned about diffs, lifts, tires and so on, but overlook the electric system sometimes... just IMHO. :emotions34:

I don't know if it's the lubricant, anyway change it NOW! It's easy and cheap if You perform the task Yourself.
Use a 80W/90 mineral GL-5, cheap one and change it every three oil changes. It's easy and does a lot of good.

¡Suerte!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- wires might be broken even if they seem to be OK.

Agreed - my rear passenger wiring harness was pretty much shot at 45k miles. I rebuilt it for about $11 and a couple hours of time and have had no issues since. It looked fine, but definitely wasn't.

MoreTorque06

Reaction score
I might have to try and rebuild the harness. I've had this problem with mine for 2 years now and i'd like ABS back for this winter. My codes point to the left wheel sensor.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Exactly which lights are you getting? All three?

Traction Control (Vehicle with squiggly lines)
ABS
ESP/BAS

We need to know which lights you are getting. If it's just Traction Control and ESP/BAS, then you likely just need an alignment. Been there and done that.

If the ABS light is on as well... then.... the problem is deeper than just that.

Surfo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all 3 lights on
Traction Control
ABS
ESP/BAS

I just removed sensor cleaned and was fine for a day then all light back on

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The dealer has the proper scanners to diagnose the codes related to ABS/ESP etc.
Rear diff / Lube should be drained,cleaned and re-filled every 12,000 miles!

Surfo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saner will reas ERRATIC signal, I have to change my dif oil, because it need to be done now, but since the problem started wit me hitting a big hole, im still thinking is smeting else...dam ABS!!!

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still maintain it's a cabling issue!!! I might be wrong anyway, but once I spotted a bunch of cables TOO CLOSE to the transmission
pan, who knows, maybe... Will be working to fix that.

Even connectors on the ABS side do play up sometimes... Man, if it just was for the dirty oil, it ought to be really messy, just my guess!

CHenry

Reaction score
I am having this same issue now myself. Can we breath more life into this thread?

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all 3 lights on
Traction Control
ABS
ESP/BAS

I just removed sensor cleaned and was fine for a day then all light back on

I had the same lights about a year and a half ago.
I changed one of the sensors luckily it was the first one I changed.
problem solved

CHenry

Reaction score
My sensors were all tested by a mechanic and tested good. I am thinking the wire harness needs to be tested next and I will look into the diff oil.
Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Im thinking I'll just disable the abs if I can fix it myself, I dont need abs anyway.

hairylizard

Reaction score
This has been very informative. I'm having the same problem. I have all three lights. Both rear sensor's and wires have been replaced, the cruise control stopped working also. I had not replaced the diff oil though and i have the ability to ask the previous and one time owner who was told by a dealer that it's sealed and can't be done. I can hit a bumps or press on the break and the traction seems to engage at times. I will have my mechanic change the oil in the morning and see how it does. I'll keep you all posted.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoreTorque06 , I am having the same problems with the ABS , ESP , BAS lights and my cruise control stopped working ... Do you have any advice on this ?

Thanks

I had the passenger rear wiring poop the bed, like I mentioned previously in this thread. I recently had the rear driver's side do the same. Get a new connector from a dealer and rebuild the harness to the wheel.

Cariboo25

Reaction score
2006 liberty esb traction control issue

Hey guys I just purchased a 2006 Jeep liberty with plans for a project when I bought it it needed a front wheel bearing the abs light esb and traction control light we're all on I figured this was due to the bearing being pilled up so I replaced the bearing the abs light is no longer on neither was the esb and trc light. Then I took it out for a drive the esb trc lights came back on but not the abs any idea what it could be? There never one when I start the Jeep up but when I take it out they will randomly come on and stay on till I turn it off any info would be great thanks guys