Erratic Remote Entry system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garp

Reaction score
Every once in a while, my remote entry system stops responding to the remote. The Jeep is only 2 months old, so I doubt it is the battery.

When it happens, I have to open the door, and then start the Jeep. As soon as I do that, the key will start working again.

Anyone have this happen, or have any ideas? I hate to go to the dealer with an intermittent problem, as you can never reproduce it on demand.

dnm45227

Reaction score
You know I have had the same thing happen with our '02 ltd. I thought it was the battery too.

dnm45227

Reaction score
We baught our '02 used, and only got one fob. If it dies Im not sure I'll even replace it.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Ah man. If you need a working one to program, I guess I'd better look into getting one.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Mine has started acting up just within the last couple of weeks. Symptoms as described by garp.

93Miata

Reaction score
I was looking for replacement keyless entry remotes not too long ago and I found a site that had them really cheap for my 02 Liberty.

I had them delivered in less than a week and the programming instructions only took maybe 10 seconds?

Anyways, here's a link to the site:

Https://www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

Just click the Jeep category, or type LIBERTY in their search box.

Chris Stack

Reaction score
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this is happening to my girlfriend's '05 Limited. She had some problems initially with the whole electrical system in the cabin (lights, radio, climate control, etc) going down, but the dealer solved that by "tightening some wires."

However, from the first month she's had the Jeep, she's had issues where she would lock the Jeep using the fob, and then it wouldn't unlock remotely, so she'd have to use the key and the alarm would go off, or she wouldn't even be able to lock remotely (she'd use the switch inside the door), and then wouldn't be able to unlock and she'd again set off the alarm. I doubt it is a battery issue, due to its age (she bought it in August '05). Lately she says it's been happening more and more frequently.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Chris Stack said:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this is happening to my girlfriend's '05 Limited. She had some problems initially with the whole electrical system in the cabin (lights, radio, climate control, etc) going down, but the dealer solved that by "tightening some wires."

However, from the first month she's had the Jeep, she's had issues where she would lock the Jeep using the fob, and then it wouldn't unlock remotely, so she'd have to use the key and the alarm would go off, or she wouldn't even be able to lock remotely (she'd use the switch inside the door), and then wouldn't be able to unlock and she'd again set off the alarm. I doubt it is a battery issue, due to its age (she bought it in August '05). Lately she says it's been happening more and more frequently.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

yeah that happened to me a while ago.....
the FOB just stopped responding period...the 2nd FOB still worked tho..(has she tried the other one?) bring it to the dealer, and tell them it's malfunctioning..thats what i did..and they fixed it

Tigrou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
garp said:
Anyone have this happen, or have any ideas?
Yep

I had the problem with my 2005 KJ.

Jeep seems to know the problem in France but the solution is of bad quality in my opinion.

When you buy your KJ
you could open one door (one push on the button) or the totality (two push on the button).

after the "repaire": there's just one way to open your car; one push and the totality of the car is open.
U loose the opportunity to open just your door.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tigrou said:
When you buy your KJ
you could open one door (one push on the button) or the totality (two push on the button).

after the "repaire": there's just one way to open your car; one push and the totality of the car is open.
U loose the opportunity to open just your door.

Drivers-door-first or all-doors-at-once is a configurable option, either with the EVIC or by this method:

http://jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=346

When they did the repair, it probably just set it back to the default. Try changing it back and see if it works.

Tigrou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sorry to post again for this problem
but i've got again the problem with my 05 Wild dream.

Sometimes when I want to use the remote entry system it doesn't work
and I need to use the key, enter the car, start the motor, stop it, then I could use again the remote entry system.

It happend maybe two or three times a month and JEEP France told me that it's Unknown problem.

What could I do to solve this ?

Thanks

Tigrou

jarvis

Reaction score
Tigrou said:
Hi,

I'm sorry to post again for this problem
but i've got again the problem with my 05 Wild dream.

Sometimes when I want to use the remote entry system it doesn't work
and I need to use the key, enter the car, start the motor, stop it, then I could use again the remote entry system.

It happend maybe two or three times a month and JEEP France told me that it's Unknown problem.

What could I do to solve this ?

Thanks

Tigrou

First thing is to try changing the battery in the remote...

Tigrou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot this action:
#-o
I have also changed the battery in the remote
and also in the spare Key.
without any result. ](*,)