Epic front end failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCJeepin

Reaction score
All I can say is wow.

A while back, I cracked the housing on my first trip offroad.

I was shocked by the extent of the damage.

I knew it was all shot, and I have a full replacement ready, but damn.

Attachments

• IMG00128-20091122-1750.jpg
    IMG00128-20091122-1750.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG00129-20091122-1750.jpg
    IMG00129-20091122-1750.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG00130-20091122-1751.jpg
    IMG00130-20091122-1751.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG00131-20091122-1753.jpg
    IMG00131-20091122-1753.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG00132-20091122-1757.jpg
    IMG00132-20091122-1757.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

NCJeepin

Reaction score
Keep in mind, the only thing I did in order to take the housing apart, was remove a bracket and the diff cover.. It litterally fell apart on the work bench

NCJeepin

Reaction score
Powerslave, you hit the nail on the head... I was rock crawling, trying to get up a bad spot, and BAM

Honestly, I think it was a casting issue this time.. The jeep only has 40K miles.

NCJeepin

Reaction score
I've wheeled for over 10 years, from CJs to YJs to WJs and XJs, it wasn't due to driver error, I think the housing was doomed from the get go.. this is my second KJ and never had any offroad issues with my previous one, and wheeled with the LOST carolinas folks a few times, and was no where near as ******* my stuff as they are, just wasn't in the cards for this front end

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of trail?

Ouch! What kind of trail were you on that caused this? Forest service? 10 rated Jeep trail?
Creek bed? 4 LO steep grade? I need to know as to not suffer the same fate!

Thanks. And, yes, I can identify with you situation. Bummer!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Ouch! What kind of trail were you on that caused this? Forest service? 10 rated Jeep trail?
Creek bed? 4 LO steep grade? I need to know as to not suffer the same fate!

Thanks. And, yes, I can identify with you situation. Bummer!

All you gotta do is keep wheelspin to a minimum and lay off the throttle

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'd disagree,those pics show how the pinion gear "walked" and cracked the housing,just like the others.

I'm well aware of that. I know how it happens, but the HOW it cracked (the lines, places, pieces, etc) is what also makes me believe a casting issue.

It just doesn't look like the other cracked diffs I've seen.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I was watching a documentary called "Steep" where these Ski mountaneers do crazy stuff on skis. They're all expert mountain climbers, world's top skiers etc.

One of the guys died before the film was even finished.

Anyhoo, they were interviewing one of the world leaders of this sport called Ski Mountaineering, and he said, the first time a friend dies, you think "well, there were these set of foreseeable circumstances..." then the next time a friend dies, he figured "yeah well, there were some errors made here on this trip, we can avoid that" then the next one dies who didn't seem to make any real errors, then the next one dies, then the next one dies, and so on and so forth. Eventually, you realize that there's only so much you can attribute to error, and you just have to accept that the mountain is bigger than you, and sometimes it wins.

NCJeepin

Reaction score
it shouldn't of happened where it happened. Granted I did raise a wheel and come back down spinning.. The terrain wasnt all that bad, it was a decent incline, in a curve, and had some very un even rocky formation in that curve, thats what made me pick the tire up, I've got a photo of the jeep in the area, but honestly it doesnt do it justice. That being said, it was no where near as bad as I would have expected for a breakage like this to occur.

Attachments

• libbyinure.jpg
    libbyinure.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 27

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I was watching a documentary called "Steep" where these Ski mountaneers do crazy stuff on skis. They're all expert mountain climbers, world's top skiers etc.

One of the guys died before the film was even finished.

Anyhoo, they were interviewing one of the world leaders of this sport called Ski Mountaineering, and he said, the first time a friend dies, you think "well, there were these set of foreseeable circumstances..." then the next time a friend dies, he figured "yeah well, there were some errors made here on this trip, we can avoid that" then the next one dies who didn't seem to make any real errors, then the next one dies, then the next one dies, and so on and so forth. Eventually, you realize that there's only so much you can attribute to error, and you just have to accept that the mountain is bigger than you, and sometimes it wins.

this is one thing I totally agree with. You think like I do jnaut. If you wheel you're gonna break...
I'm staying away from rocks fo sho.
At least you had fun doing it. :D

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Powerslave, you hit the nail on the head... I was rock crawling, trying to get up a bad spot, and BAM

Honestly, I think it was a casting issue this time.. The jeep only has 40K miles.

Then this is a common casting issue, there is another person here that the same thing happened.

tjkj2002, yeah, you have a DDT locker? Yeah, you won't get the wheel spin with one wheel up like you would with the stock OPEN diff. So, your diff survived because you have the locker, as that's how they are supposed to work, right? Someone else here had the same thing happen to them, so, it's not an isolated incident. I then should have said "Are the stock front diffs really this weak." Ok?

NCJeepin: This can (and apparently does) happen any time you raise one front wheel and it spins. When it comes down and grips the pavement, that's when the shock occurs, and causes the torque to shift to inside the diff, causing the pinion gear to "walk" as they say. This is not the first time this has happened with stock front OPEN differential. Your 2005 doesn't have the ESP system...

Latest posts

Members online