Enginer shuts off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twice today while driving my engine all of a sudden shut off. No sputtering or symptoms of a problem, just bam...engine is off. Both times engine was at operating temp and i had already driven about 5 miles. Both times it shut off going under 5mph, and shut off as soon as i pressed the accelerator. The only light on the dash after the engine shut off was the oil indicator. Both times car started right back up with no hesitation. This also happened to me a couple weeks ago.

Several years ago i had this same problem happen several times in a month period, then mysteriously went away.

Any ideas on possible causes? Crank position sensor wonky? Battery is brand new, car is showing no other symptoms of issues and runs like a dream otherwise.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure you did but just incase, did you check the oil?

Important detail. Yes, i did. Even if oil was low, engine shouldn't shut off unless there's some crazy software condition to protect the engine.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you got some bad gas?

I dunno - but that is what my grandpa used to say any time someone would mention having car/truck problems.