Engine swap out questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckerKevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have scoured the net trying to find these answers first, but I have a couple questions that are still unclear to me before I dive in to this project.

I have a 3.7 core motor out of an 03 Liberty with a rod knock that is going to be given to me. I wanted to make a summer project out of it by rebuilding it for my 07 Liberty and just having it on hand when mine finally bites the dust.

I found an excellent write up in the how to section by TwoBobsKJ, except I want to go the opposite way. He put a newer engine into an old Liberty. I want to put an older engine into a newer Liberty. I understand that the crank and cam reluctor rings need to be swapped, as well as the intake, oil pan, motor mounts, valve covers. But what about the EGR?

As I understand it, the older Liberty models did not have an EGR. TwoBobsKJ put a block off plate on his to eliminate the EGR hole since his Liberty don't have one. But mine is going to require it. Is it just a matter of bolting mine up from my motor when I do the swap?

And I read somewhere about transmission torque converter line ups not matching for some people, but I never found their ultimate solution. Are the cranks different? Has anyone experienced this?

And has anyone ever taken on a project like this so I know what else I might run into?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have scoured the net trying to find these answers first, but I have a couple questions that are still unclear to me before I dive in to this project.

I have a 3.7 core motor out of an 03 Liberty with a rod knock that is going to be given to me. I wanted to make a summer project out of it by rebuilding it for my 07 Liberty and just having it on hand when mine finally bites the dust.

I found an excellent write up in the how to section by TwoBobsKJ, except I want to go the opposite way. He put a newer engine into an old Liberty. I want to put an older engine into a newer Liberty. I understand that the crank and cam reluctor rings need to be swapped, as well as the intake, oil pan, motor mounts, valve covers. But what about the EGR?

As I understand it, the older Liberty models did not have an EGR. TwoBobsKJ put a block off plate on his to eliminate the EGR hole since his Liberty don't have one. But mine is going to require it. Is it just a matter of bolting mine up from my motor when I do the swap?

And I read somewhere about transmission torque converter line ups not matching for some people, but I never found their ultimate solution. Are the cranks different? Has anyone experienced this?

And has anyone ever taken on a project like this so I know what else I might run into?

Thanks in advance

Just posted an answer to your question over in the How-To section.

Over there you didn't ask about the nose of the torque converter, but you'll have to do a test fit. Sometimes the bearing in the end of the crank needs to be pulled - has to be done by a machine shop. But if your TC fits then you don't have to worry about it. Just grab the torque converter and see if it will press all the way in to the crank.

Let me know if you have any other questions :waytogo:

Bob

TruckerKevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Bob. I didn't ask about the torque converter because it was a new issue I found shortly after I made that post!

I appreciate the well written write up and the responses

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a crank out of an 05 into an 02 . Had to remove the bearing out of the 05 crank for the 02 torque converter to fit . Used a sawzall with a fine toothed metal cutting blade to cut one side of the bearing & it came right out . Takes careful cutting .
Don't know about the egr valve but I would imagine swapping intake manifolds would take care of that .

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys know they make a slide puller attachment that yanks out those pilot bearings, right?

Used one about 3 times.. goes in, spin it to expand the jaws behind the inner race of the bearing, give it a fast slide-whack! and it pops right out.

Or is ours different in some way that makes it not possible? I mean, it's just a pilot bearing, right?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys know they make a slide puller attachment that yanks out those pilot bearings, right?

Used one about 3 times.. goes in, spin it to expand the jaws behind the inner race of the bearing, give it a fast slide-whack! and it pops right out.

Or is ours different in some way that makes it not possible? I mean, it's just a pilot bearing, right?

I tried that exact tool and it didn't work. There's nothing for the jaws to grab on to in the back - or at least the jaws were too thick to get into the small beveled area on the bearing. Took my crank to a machine shop and they had it out it 10 minutes and also removed the small screws that held the reluctor ring on the crank. They're small buggers and my Torx bit stripped them out :favorites68:

Bob

TruckerKevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am only assuming that when it comes time for me to do my swap, that I am probably going to have to put the bearing in the crank since I am going backwards in years??

Another thing I am still not really clear on, is the EGR controlled by the pcm? If I bypass the egr with a blocking plate, is my pcm going to scream bloody ****** because it's missing, or is it entirely mechanical??

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried that exact tool and it didn't work. There's nothing for the jaws to grab on to in the back - or at least the jaws were too thick to get into the small beveled area on the bearing. Took my crank to a machine shop and they had it out it 10 minutes and also removed the small screws that held the reluctor ring on the crank. They're small buggers and my Torx bit stripped them out :favorites68:

Bob

Well, aint that a b*tch.

Last edited:

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I lucked out with the reluctor ring screws . Didn't have any problem getting them out of either crank . Took maybe 15 minutes to cut & remove the bearing from the end of the crank .