Engine stalls while accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just happened a couple of times today. RPMs also are intermittently unstable at idle. No error codes are present whatsoever.

It happened shortly after filling up the tank so I am thinking it might be bad gas. I'd expect a CEL, though, in that case. I guess I will start with draining the fuel still. Any other ideas?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Very possible. How is it on spark plugs?

Other thing it could be is the purge valve is stuck/acting up. It can cause exactly that, it did on my LR3. Basically vapors aren't being fed back into the intake according to plan, it's just randomly occurring and that's why it's stalling/bucking. If it clears up after it's sat or been driven, I'm guessing that's your issue. On the LR3 I rarely got codes from it. Always self soothed after a little while. Replaced the purge valve and it's been good.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only showed up after fuel-up, my money's on the new fuel.

Just a word of caution to any who don't know; "NEVER FUEL WHILE DELIVERY TANK TRUCK IS UNLOADING!!! All fuel tanks have crud, water, rust, mud, etc in a layer on the bottom of the storage tank. when they're dumping 100 gallon per minute through that big ol delivery hose ALL that $ch!t is stirred up and roiling above the raised pickup line that feeds the pumps you use.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ ya & add to that...How often do they change the filters going into those pumps?
After 15 years of using the best service stations here, my motorcycle's tank had fine sediment and small gravel in the tank!
I don't want to know what's in the bottom of the KJ tank after 14 years.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ ya & add to that...How often do they change the filters going into those pumps?
After 15 years of using the best service stations here, my motorcycle's tank had fine sediment and small gravel in the tank!
I don't want to know what's in the bottom of the KJ tank after 14 years.

Hate to break it to ya,,, There's usually NO SUCH FILTER .:emotions34:

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the EVAP canister. It got filled up with gas. I guess the guy at the gas station didn't stop at the first click the way I told him to and overfilled it.

Kaden

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crank positioning sensor, throttle positioning sensor, mass air flow sensor, gummed up fuel filter, bad spark plugs. Could be a lot of things. I would first check the sensors.

Members online