Engine problems

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by jdamanthey, May 3, 2005.

1. jdamanthey

jdamanthey New Member

I have a 2002 liberty with a big engine problem. It all started 4/8 - my chck engine light went on. I immediately brought it to a local mechanic since I have 75k miles on it & no more warranty. Code 304 - 4th cylinder misfiring...replaced the coil pack/full tune up. Next day, started up truck, engine light now flashes at me and you can hear the misfire. Shut it off, start it up, the engine light is back on, runs great. Bring it back to mechanic. He checks, again 4th misfiring. Replaces coil pack (defect he says), get it back. Runs great for 3 whole days. One morning, again, engine light flashes at me. Code 304 again. Shut if off, restart, runs great, light remains. Bring it back. Mechanic resets. Things look great. Have it back 1 day, again, but yet, code 302 - now its cylinder 2 misfiring. Damn. Bring it back. He replaces the coil pack in cylinder 2 - get it back. Very next morning, truck does not sound healthy. Engine light flashing at me...knock in the engine..doesn't sound good. Bring it back. 4th spit out my rocker arm and lifter for the push rod. Ok, fix it. Done. Next day, same thing. Ok, replace the rocker arm again, spring, lifter, coil pack. Got it back, didn't even drive 30 miles and check engine light is back. Take it home, next morning,...knock, knock, knock in the engine. Damn. Not liking codes 302 or 304. I just stole it back from my mechanic when the shop was closed...had it towed to a dealer now since it's obvious mechanic doesn't know Jeeps. Now it's sitting at a dealer and my worse fear..blown head gasket. Has anyone here had any problems like this or am I just cursed with a bad Jeep??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm livid.

2. yoda13

yoda13 Full Access Member

that is terrible, I am sorry, but no problems like that, at least not yet. 8-[

3. JeepJeepster

JeepJeepster Full Access Member

Wow, this is the first time ive ever heard of a problem like that from a libby engine. Thats insane. First time for me.

4. stackthepads30

stackthepads30 Full Access Member

Which engine do you have, the 4 cylinder or the 3.7 V6? I know that Chrysler's have quite a history of blown head gaskets in the 4 cylinder engines, but I don't know if the 4 cylinder libby has issues like this. I can tell you from experience that I've replaced blown head gaskets in my 87 Dodge Aries, 91 Plymouth Acclaim, my friend's 96 Neon, my parents 96 Stratus......the list goes on and on. So if it's the 4 cylinder you have.......well.........

5. jdamanthey

jdamanthey New Member

I have a 6cyl 3.7 engine. I spoke w/another local Jeep - they replaced three engines alone this week. All with over 70k miles.

6. Marlon_JB2

Marlon_JB2 Kombat Edition Jeep

Those headgasket issues with the 4 cylinder engines was fixed around '97/'98 for future reference. (whistle)

Sorry to hear about your problems.... what engines are they replacing?

7. jdamanthey

jdamanthey New Member

The local dealer is replacing the 6cyl like I have. But since there isn't enough libby's out there with this much mileage yet, nothing is being done by Jeep.

8. 2003KJ

2003KJ Member

This is EXACTLY something I didn't want to see.

If it's a blown head gasket, coolant should be inside the engine with the oil. If you can, check it and see if your oil looks like normal oil should. If it looks/smells like coolant, it probably is the head gasket, and the engine is toasted.

very interesting that this is the 3rd one according to your dealer that blew up, as this is the first i've read about it.

Might have to do some research on this one.....I don't like the sound of this.

9. -=JoN=-

-=JoN=- Member

yeah...3 in one dealer....havnt seen anyone really with effed up engines
    maybe like 2 from JU....but one seemed like a lemon....

in either case..it really sux

10. grogiefrog

grogiefrog Full Access Member

Sorry to hear, as that has got to be a bad thing to have to deal with (and pay for). Cars... love 'em and hate 'em.

11. jeepkj02

jeepkj02 Full Access Member

Uh oh.....I'm at 63k, i hope i dont have that problem when it reach 70k!!

12. grogiefrog

I would think 150k, or more! I want a rusted frame before it won't run.

13. -=JoN=-

-=JoN=- Member

there was that one dude in JU that ran his to about 175k...his tranny went at like 100+ or something....

14. grogiefrog

I think a tranny should be good for 150k. It's shame if their not. But I guess it's how it's used.

15. 2003KJ

2003KJ Member

True. Those who do tons of towing put wear and tear on the tranny quicker. Plus, not everybody takes care of their vehicles as much as we try to. I say follow the book. It's there for a reason.

16. tsweet

tsweet New Member

3.7 Liter

I have the same problem with my nephews 2002 jeep liberty I have the rockers popping off and all rockers and lifters have been replaced it is only on the right side head this jeep has only 48,748 miles he purchased it 9/7/2005 only put 2,000 miles on it this is the third time they poped off dealer fixed and then Technition replaced all lifters and rockers and tested all spring tentio can some one help with this problem? does the cam flex in these engines

17. JeepJeepster

JeepJeepster Full Access Member

Now that I think about it, the 3.7 doesnt have lifters. Its an OHC and the rockers ride right on the cams do they not? No push rods either. This set up is supossed to last along time from what Ive heard.

18. Silver Streak

Silver Streak New Member

The 3.7L has aluminum heads, and therefore must have hardened steel valve seats pressed into the head. Unfortunately these sometimes come out. My guess is the engine was severely overheated perhaps? I am guessing here, I really don't know what causes it. If the head gasket were leaking there would be water in the oil and or exhaust of course. I suspect there may be a TSB about it, since the dealer wants to tell the owner it is a head gasket, when it is obviously not the case.
    There are cam followers that Mopar calls rocker arms on the 3.7L. They are real nice steel stampings and they have rollers on the end, so in effect they are roller rockers; good stuff. Since more than one cylinder is doing this, and since they are all even numbered, it is obviously all on the same cylinder head. That head got hot, really hot, or maybe Chrysler did not seat the valve seats properly when they made it. The dealer should be happy to tell you all about it, were it out of warranty, but since they hide the real culprit, i suspect there is a TSB. A TSB means warranty, so the dealer won't make near as much from Chrysler Jeep as they would from the customer. Therefore the incentive to misstate the facts about this failure.
    I would search around, ask them to show you the head soon as it is off if possible. You can about count on it, the valve seats came loose, causing incorrect valve train geometry, and therefore broken valve train parts.

Silver Streak
    `05 CRD Sport

19. kjpilot

kjpilot Full Access Member

I wonder if the 4.0L in-line 6 from the cherokee will fit under the hood? Nothing stopped those engines. I'm almost hoping mine blows! Then I can justify puting a 5.7 hemi crate motor in there laugh.gif

20. Silver Streak

Silver Streak New Member

Yeah the Rambler six is a good engine, certainly reliable. I don't think it comes close to the 3.7L myself for a lot of reasons. First off i should say i have never seen or heard of a 3.7L having loose valve seats; however it is clearly the most likely culprit for the one described here. I recently saw a 3.8L Chrysler minivan do this same thing, with the back cylinder head. I have come across it several times with other makes however, mostly Japanese engines with aluminum cylinder heads requiring the valve seat be pressed in, ironically just as cast iron heads have since the `20s; but cast iron heads hold it a lot better. Never heard of this phenomenon before the `80s.
    The 3.7L has Mercedes style lifters and rocker arms; and the really nice Mercedes style timing chains as well, very reliable, and long lived. I suspect this head got hot, very hot, or the dude manufacturing the head had a bad day when installing the valve seats. When this happens it is almost always the exhaust valves, so it would seem heat is a factor to me.

Silver Streak
    `05 CRD Sport