Engine noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRASMAN

Reaction score
My 06 Renegade has about 30,000 miles on it and recently I noticed a tick type noise in the engine. Could this be my lifters and is this normal for the engine itself to be noisy (I am not talking about the exhaust). It is not real loud but it is there. Is there a common problem with this motor (3.7L)? :confused: For that matter is there any thing at all about the 3.7 I should know? I read good things about the motor before I got it. Thanks for any info!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well the 3.7L NORMALLY has a slight tick when it runs, it's just valvetrain noise, it's not really loud. Is the tick just on startup or constant? Warm or cold?

BRASMAN

Reaction score
Louder when cold but it is still there when it is hot but it is not super loud when cold. The oil has just been changed. It has Mobile One Syn 10w30 and the oil level is perfect.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 10w-30 for 4 years but Ive switched to 5w-30 on this last change for the winter. I did notice a drop in valvetrain noise switching to 5w-30 but Ill probably switch back to 10w-30 for the summer.

The 3.7 doesnt have lifters, its a OHC engine.

BRASMAN

Reaction score
The 3.7 doesnt have lifters, its a OHC engine.

LOL Oh OK.

So you guys are saying a little valvetrain noise is normal though?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I think I have a recording of what the 3.7L is supposed to normally sound like on my computer. I'll upload it when I get home as I'm in class right now.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine ticks also. ran pennzoil 5w30 until last week. now run mobil1 5w30 extended. 12756 miles now. still ticks. has from the first day.

daniyel

Reaction score
Marlon, thanks! :) My 04 Dakota has the 3.7 and sounds just like that at idle. I was wondering for the longest time because I grew up with OHV engines that always seem very quiet. Just assumed it had to do with the two cams.

Peace. :p