Engine noise- with pic!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll do the best I can to explain this...

When I press the gas from a stop I get a loud fast racheting noise from under the hood. It goes away in just a second. It also does it when i slow to a stop (again, for just a second). It also does it when i hit the gas when my kj is in park. I've spent a lot of time under the hood trying to figure out where it was coming from. I replaced both the idler and tensioner pullies... didn't fix the noise. I think it may be coming from the AC pulley on the belt on the top left. I'm not sure what it is. I took a picture of the belt between the AC pulley and the tensioner pully (shown below). When I throttle the engine and the noise happens, the portion of the belt between the AC pulley and the tensioner pully looks like it's loose and kinda like a plucked guitar string. The sound may be coming from the AC pulley?

ya, i know i'm bad

Attachments

• jeep belt.jpg
    jeep belt.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got to replace the whole tensioner,had that happen with the 3rd OEM tensioner that was installed on my KJ.You should always replace the entire tensioner as one unit,it comes with the 2 pulleys also.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, loose belt due to a worn tensioner equals belt slap on acceleration. Been there on other vehicles i have owned, not yet on the KJ.

polomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good diagnosis. The movement in the belt (like a plucked guitar string) only happens between the tensioner pulley and the AC pulley. The belt looks tight everywhere else. Does that change anything?

Thanks for the great help.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
For anybody that missed class last week
This is a car
You must be registered for see images

This is a Jeep
You must be registered for see images attach

If you call your Jeep a car, it will be, understandably, angry with you. This is when it starts to make your life miserable.
ThunderbirdJunkie has never called his Jeep a car, and thus, it has treated him well ;)

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Every time someone uses the C word to refer to their Jeep,bad things happen,puppys go blind,kittens are mangled,goldfish eaten.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
For anybody that missed class last week
This is a car
You must be registered for see images

This is a Jeep
You must be registered for see images attach

If you call your Jeep a car, it will be, understandably, angry with you. This is when it starts to make your life miserable.
ThunderbirdJunkie has never called his Jeep a car, and thus, it has treated him well ;)

Off topic,for the life of me can not see why Budke wouldn't want that fine piece of auto excellence in your upper picture.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good diagnosis. The movement in the belt (like a plucked guitar string) only happens between the tensioner pulley and the AC pulley. The belt looks tight everywhere else. Does that change anything?

Thanks for the great help.

The reason it only happens in that spot is the tensioner right below it bounces and so that length of belt between the tensioner and the AC pulley follows it.