engine knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today on the way home from work as i started her up I hear a strange sound. When I gave it a little gas, the sound went faster, and got louder. Can anyone be of service?

Thanks,
Andrew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2apytN37vQ --Video of the engine bay w/sound. It just happened to be the first time it did it without me on the gas , while I was taping, go figure.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like Budke's old engine...how's the oil level in it? Mileage?

Sorry to say this...but it may be dead.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Budke's old engine...how's the oil level in it? Mileage?

Sorry to say this...but it may be dead.

noo lol, uhm mileage is like 165k, and the oil is due for a change im like 50 over the mark actually

Hey, its not your fault lol. Its just means its time to move on.

Last edited:

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well....I F'ed up bad this time.I completely forgot about my oil. Checked my oil, VERY low. Added a couple quarts this morning and it sort of went away. Its comes and goes now. Going to get a real oil change soon and have the mech. look at it

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL OIL always gotten check and change it!!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well....I F'ed up bad this time.I completely forgot about my oil. Checked my oil, VERY low. Added a couple quarts this morning and it sort of went away. Its comes and goes now. Going to get a real oil change soon and have the mech. look at it

Oh crap................:Insane:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you checked it? If it was good not that long ago, then you are either leaking or burning a whole lot..

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with this very thing is, once you hear the noise, you're done. Way, way back I had a car that sprung an oil leak and the oil got very low. Started that knocking sound, it was over. I put oil in it, it kind of went away, the engine died within the next two days.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned at a very young age with free and $20 vehicles that I had to check my oil level daily or a least weekly,and I still do.Though with my KJ it's never low.

I check everything on my KJ weekly,air pressure in the tires,re-torque lugnuts,check all fluid levels,check for leaks,and wash my KJ every week.20mins of work each week saves alot of $$$$ in the long run in major repairs.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned at a very young age with free and $20 vehicles that I had to check my oil level daily or a least weekly,and I still do.Though with my KJ it's never low.

I check everything on my KJ weekly,air pressure in the tires,re-torque lugnuts,check all fluid levels,check for leaks,and wash my KJ every week.20mins of work each week saves alot of $$$$ in the long run in major repairs.
I completely agree. I check everything once a week. Sunday evening is the best time for me. Right before I start a new week. I've done this ever since I got my first vehicle.

I is so simple to maintain a vehicle, yet some people just don't care to make the time to do simple things to keep it running for a long time. They must think it runs on fairy farts.

This is like reading the Budke thread all over again.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man how the oil just gets over looked or people simply forget about the value of it
guy at worked ended up trashing an engine in his truck
thing dies at just over 150K
mechanic found "an inch of sludge in the oil pan"
come to find out he was going 10-15K on oil changes and not adding between
a few month latter same problem different guy different car ,Camary 120K or so
and 4 ,yes only 4, oil changes
My old truck ,same as the one that died, is still running at 240K on a 5.4 gas engine
I did all required maint. and kept up with the oil as of now it burns about 3/4 quart every 1k miles
My wifes ride calls for 10K on oil changes
I call BS because it is turbo charged and the turbo uses the engine oil as coolant
so it will break down faster
we go 5K and it looks clean when we change it
as of now every car I own or drive gets full syn. oil
tie will tell if it is worth it
I hope to get 200K out of the truck and car

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man how the oil just gets over looked or people simply forget about the value of it
guy at worked ended up trashing an engine in his truck
thing dies at just over 150K
mechanic found "an inch of sludge in the oil pan"
come to find out he was going 10-15K on oil changes and not adding between
a few month latter same problem different guy different car ,Camary 120K or so
and 4 ,yes only 4, oil changes
My old truck ,same as the one that died, is still running at 240K on a 5.4 gas engine
I did all required maint. and kept up with the oil as of now it burns about 3/4 quart every 1k miles
My wifes ride calls for 10K on oil changes
I call BS because it is turbo charged and the turbo uses the engine oil as coolant
so it will break down faster
we go 5K and it looks clean when we change it
as of now every car I own or drive gets full syn. oil
tie will tell if it is worth it
I hope to get 200K out of the truck and car

wow, id like to think i take much better care of it than the above mentioned lol,but def not so much as TJKJ and 67CUSTOMS

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of people are the same as TJKJ and 67, been doing the same for over 40 years on every vehicle I have ever owned. Like said above it only takes a few minutes of time a week. Just ran through mine this AM.
Plus I never run around for a week after wheeling and trying to be cool with mud hanging everywhere. As soon as I get home, complete bath above and below to check out everything out. Again a few minutes of time and you know whats happening with all moving parts.
Heck I even pull the boots on the rear shocks off every couple of months to clean them out and check them closely!
Also I keep any parts I think it may need in the future in stock, so if I find a problem I can repair it right away.