engine knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74fencer

Reaction score
My 05 Renegade only has 5500 miles on it and it has a light knocking noise in the morning when i crank it and it is not really that cold here in the mornings. It goes away when it warms up, but for being a new vehicle this is kind of bothering, I also run good oil in it Mobil 1 5w30. Does anyone else have this issue? Is this common on these engines? thanks.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine knocks on cold mornings until the engine warms up a bit. I just let it idle for a minute after starting then take it easy driving the first few minutes.

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil drainback....common. My buick does the same thing. The oil drains back into the pan and empties the oil galley's. My 05 KJ does the same thing for a few seconds. Definitley valve train clatter. Not worried about it though.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! I've been hearing this lately also, the first time I heard it was after I changed the oil and it did it until the filter filled up, dad said it was the lifters and I said it doesnt have any. Scared the crap out of me, it was very loud. The only thing is I do not remeber it always being there. Glad other people are hearing it! [-o<

2003KJ

Reaction score
hear it on my 03 also....right at 32K on it with no problems. Just switched over to Mobil 1 10W30 a couple of weeks ago and have noticed that the knocking has quieted down alot on cold start ups......might try goin up to 10W30 instead.

Latest posts

Members online