Electrical short or bad ECM ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c5-jim

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade and after 10 minutes the mil comes on, the cruise control quites working and tpis starts blinking. It seams to start after the heater is on for a little while. When the jeep cools down everything starts working again until the heat comes on for awhile. It worked until cold weather. It happened 2 times in the summer and I beat on the dash and it worked fine and codes cleared after a few cycles of the ignition. I tried the same thing this winter when it started again but it did not correct the problem. Sometimes the motor shuts off and then restarts after I pull over to the side of the road. Any thoughts ?
Thanks for viewing, c5-jim

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade and after 10 minutes the mil comes on, the cruise control quites working and tpis starts blinking. It seams to start after the heater is on for a little while. When the jeep cools down everything starts working again until the heat comes on for awhile. It worked until cold weather. It happened 2 times in the summer and I beat on the dash and it worked fine and codes cleared after a few cycles of the ignition. I tried the same thing this winter when it started again but it did not correct the problem. Sometimes the motor shuts off and then restarts after I pull over to the side of the road. Any thoughts ?
Thanks for viewing, c5-jim

Try and get any possible OBDII codes from the ECU so you will know where to start looking. More likely a wiring problem than the ECU itself I think...you can try a quick fix by disconnecting the battery and re-plugging the connectors on the ECU a few times to hopefully clean any bad contacts.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought would be to check all the connections at the BCM(located just above the driver's kick panel).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.