Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Cherkauer

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to the forum. I did a few searches before posting but not really having any luck. Just picked up an 02 Liberty for my sons first vehicle and there are some issues I am trying to track down.

Its a 2002 Limited with the 3.7.

Here are the electrical issues we are having.

1. Power Locks Issues

The power door locks only work when the vehicle key is in the "on" position or the vehicle is running. Additionally the back gate will not even open unless the key is in the on position and you hit the unlock switch. Then you can open the back gate. Also the doors will not lock with the power locks. There is no key fob. Its an old school key.

2. None of the lights on the vehicle will work without the key in the "on" position or the vehicle is running. No headlights, dome lights, dash lights, only the hazards will work unless the vehicle is on.

I'm not sure if this is a fuse issue. The fuse #6 on the inside that is labeled for power locks is ok. Not sure if there is a fuse under the hood that might also be bad. The battery is fairly new so that could be it as well.

Just thought I would put this out and see if anyone else had a similar issue with any solution.

Thank you

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
Has anyone messed around with the wiring ? Does this vehicle have a remote start added or any unique wiring mods that you know of?
The jeep will do strange things if the battery is weak.
I always like to ensure that the batt terminals are clean & tight, no corrosion, then a load test done by a battery shop (normally free)
I would be guessing but something from the main power /ignition possibly may be a wonk.
A no start problem is normally caused by the ignition actuator pin, yet your starts fine correct? I wonder though if this actuator pin is on it's way out?
Does anything work when you turn ignition all the way back to the Accessory position?
Check all the fuses or that could also point to a potential problem with the BCM. (body control module)
Check all the underhood fuses as well. I use a VOM/continuity to confirm fuses are good.
Here is the 02 factory manual: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2002JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

Last edited:

Richard Cherkauer

Reaction score
LibertyTC. First thank you for that manual link. That’s great.

The Jeep starts and runs fine. Once running the power locks will unlock but not lock. There is no aftermarket stuff. There actually isn’t even a radio in it right now.
I thought battery would be fine since it starts and drives fine but I will get that checked. And now I can run down fuses with the manual you provided.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early KJs came with a separate key fob...newer KJs came with the door lock button integrated into the ignition key and the separate fob was dropped.

Are you saying the you do not have a separate fob to open/close the doors?

If you use the key in the Driver's door to lock the doors do the doors lock?

I believe your early KJ...like mine...has a key slot at the rear cargo door....does the key in this slot lock/unlock the doors or the rear hatch?

The BCM can be programmed for lots of functions by the Dealers but I doubt the problems you have are a programming feature!

I will look through the logics for a wiring problem.;)

Edit to add:

Looking through Section 8E of the Service manuals I see that the "Base" KJ models do not have Remote Key Entry (RKE)! My 2002 Export CRD Sport does have RKE on a separate RKE Fob. Your "Limited" version should have the RKE function I believe....you may have to obtain a programmed separate key fob from the Dealers .

Read through Section 8E...it tells you what features can be programmed into the BCM by the Dealers and shows you where the RKE module is plugged onto the BCM.

The BCM is on the rear side of the Internal Fuse Panel. On the rear side of this fuse panel..Junction Block.....there are several relays including some that are relevant to the door locking function.
These relay positions are not marked but if you look at the Wiring Diagrams, Section 8W, the Index section shows "Component Locations". Look for Junction Block there and you will see the Relay layout.
Try swapping out the relays marked as relevant for Door Locking with other identical relays nearby. Also check all fuses on this fuse panel and in the fuse box under the hood.

I checked the Key Switch on the rear cargo hatch on my Jeep...only locks/unlocks the cargo door and flip-up glass!

Looking at the Logics I definitely believe that all fuses in the box under the hood..PDC..need to be checked!;)

Last edited: