Electric power mirrors not working...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rekab69

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The electric mirrors on our Cherokee 2006 CRD 2.8 Sport have stopped working, the fold away option works fine.

I have put power direct to the mirror motor and it works, so I bought a new 2nd hand switch... this one just moves the mirror every so slightly just kinds of takes up the load but does no more...??!

Duff switch...? again..

Any other parts in the system that I could can check out.?

Cheers,

db.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! I wish my U.S. version came with the foldaway option on the mirrors :emotions34:

Anyway, since the mirror direction motor works I'm not sure where the problem lies. Since the original switch worked the directionality just fine, and the new/old doesn't work the directionality so well - I'm thinking the foldaway motor is bunged up. Have you applied 12 volts to the foldaway motor directly?

Out of curiosity, where is the control for the foldaway? Is it on the same switch as the directionality or located somewhere else?

Bob

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so if you apply voltage direct to the mirror up/down or left/right it works OK?

Does this apply to both the Passenger side as well as the Driver side?

The voltage and ground fed to the Switch Mirror panel on your Driver's door is common to the folding mirrors so that should be OK.

From the wiring diagram I can only assume:

If both Driver and passenger mirrors both are faulty but test out OK with voltage directly applied then your second-hand switch panel is faulty or the connector going to the switch panel is faulty....dirty pins or pins pushed back.

If you have not tested the passenger side....pull off its connector and see if Driver side now works....Passenger side may be pulling down Driver side.

If you do not have the wiring diagrams, download the 2006 KJ Service Manual here and go to Wiring Section...pages 8W-62-4 and 8W-62-5 and trace the voltages coming off the Switch Panel to the mirrors using a DC voltmeter/Mutimeter.
Best to strap a small pin or needle to the meter probes so you can measure inside the connectors or pierce the insulation on the wire itself!

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Stubby

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The electric mirrors on our Cherokee 2006 CRD 2.8 Sport have stopped working, the fold away option works fine.

I have put power direct to the mirror motor and it works, so I bought a new 2nd hand switch... this one just moves the mirror every so slightly just kinds of takes up the load but does no more...??!

Duff switch...? again..

Any other parts in the system that I could can check out.?

Cheers,

db.
Hi mate, did you get them working? Mine does the same thing but all tests alright.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi mate, did you get them working? Mine does the same thing but all tests alright.
That's a very old thread I'm afraid. Billwill's advice is good though.
Check the fuses and see if you have anything going to the switch with a multi meter.

Stubby

Reaction score
I’ve tried everything as per the manual. With an external 12v supply the mirrors work fine. There is 12v to the switch and the switch also checks out fine with a multi meter. Yet when you hook it all back up the lh does nothing and the rh clicks like it’s trying to move ?
Mine is the export version with the folding windows. That part works fine and is part of the same switch.

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be a broken wire in the door, see what happens to the voltage when you operate the switch.

Stubby

Reaction score
Voltage seems ok, 12v on the back side of the plug that goes to the mirror.
Everything checks out ok as per the manual. Lucky it’s not something that you have to adjust often.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens to that 12v when you put load on it?