ECU upgrade on the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the B&G Chrysler flash. I found a junk yard who had the ECU for $50 so I am having them send B&G the ECU, and he will flash it and program my VIN in it. Will let you know if anything changes performance or effeciency wise.

Lunch-box

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I got this right you are going to have two ECU's your stock one now, and the one you bought from the wrecker for 50.00

I am also assuming your using:

&G Premium Flash - This PCM upgrade is designed for vehicles with little or no modifications using stock intake manifold.

Revised timing & fuel tables, Shift points raised to 5000 rpm, Rev limit raised to 5400 rpm.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lunchbox - Yes on getting 2nd ECU. I found a wrecker yard via car-part.com in Michigan that had the ECU for $50. The wrecker yard is sending the ECU direct to them, for them to program. I was considering buying through autozone or something. But other events going on make timing not good. Also I thought if I ever needed to go back to stock, I would have to get them to reflash.

A side note, and maybe a bit SHADDY. It appear they sale programmers and will put the flash on the programmer or email you the flash for your programmer. This may be a good option if a few of you wanted to do the flash.

ROCKYMOUNTAIN - B&G makes ECU mods for many vehicles.. From what I gather they specialize in custom tuning. Check out the vid of that insane fast Grand Cherokee. Cost is about $300. That is for them to flash your ECU or the code for you to flash your own. He said you could get an programmer for about $300. I got my 2nd hand ECU via a junk yard.. The mods I have on my Libby are Headers, Magnaflow Catback, Cold/Forced Air moded airbox (cold air scoop in grill bringing air into box via duct) and K&N drop in filter. I will eventually do the throttle body upgrade but for now.. This is it..

Last edited:

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds awesome! Planning on before n after numbers? That would be cool!

What you want 1/4 mile times? A dyno run? ha.. I dono why right now, Im getting the worst millage ever with it. 12mpg. I was getting about 15mpg when I had the Rusty's cone filter mod with a 12" K&N cone filter on it. Then I moded my factory airbox to have a cold air induction. Now I am gettin 12mpg, also I had a muffler shop fix a broken clamp at the header/cat pipe. So its all tighty now.
But I suspect the ECU is freaking out with the header and the cold air induction. I have gotten 20 MPG on highway with this setup on a short 100 mile trip. It does seem very peppy now in its current config.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12? That stinks! Ever consider better injectors? Like the 4 hole ones?
Yea get a 1/4 time. Just some numbers to look at.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im guessing with all the mods I may have gained 25HP.

Im not after HP, in all other aspects its a stock liberty. Maybe I will seem some massive gains once I do the chip and go on this long 1300 mile trip. I hope so...

ck2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's about right i get 12mpg if I'm lucky and i drive light on the gas best I've seen from my liberty in the last 6 months is 18mpg with no load driving 75-80mph.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how this works out, I was thinking of having the TCM in my Ram flashed by them.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finnally got a call from the guy, my ECU was lost a bit but finally got to them.

I spoke to him about what was going to be done. He did a basic program on it. The only big thing tha I see will be the Fuel Table modification. Said it would run leaner, but leaning out an engine will also make it run hotter. But maybe with my forced air induction it is freaking the ECU out a bit anyway So shall see..

He commented on two things I wanted to share. First he said the 3.7L on the Libby makes it underpowered. And second the JBA Headers is a mistake, it reduces torque and makes the liby drink more gas. SO if youi are wanting/considering Headers, just say NO!!

I just drove my Falcon Wagon 1300 miles. And had the wife pick me up at the airport in the Liby, a little more than 100 miles round trip, and got about 18.5 MPG (chip not installed yet)

Kasmir Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He commented on two things I wanted to share. First he said the 3.7L on the Libby makes it underpowered. And second the JBA Headers is a mistake, it reduces torque and makes the liby drink more gas. SO if youi are wanting/considering Headers, just say NO!!

That is what i feel happened to mine...expensive mistake. Can his tune fix it?

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Said the fuel table modification could fix MPG. But the headers lose torq but gain HP. So nothing is going to gain that back.He said by leaning out the fuel would gain MPG. The rest of the mods were Rev Limiter and stuff like that. So you can wind the motor out more I guess. We will see, after the long trip I will post up any gains I see

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finnally got the ECU, the Junk Yard sent it to a non-existant address but corrected it through UPS and BG turned the ECU same day. I put it in the jeep yesterday. Seems to shift at different points now.Havent pushed it to hard to know any differences yet.

If you do upgrade your ECU, here is a note. you will have to remove the battery, and the two 10mm bolts that hold the brakcet that holds the ECU. When reinstalling, be careful of hte black cable that runs just below the bracket. Thats your hood release, if you bind/crimp it you may not be able to shut your hood all the way. Just push it down a bit hwen your tighting the 10 mm bolts.

Now theonly performance mod I can make is the Throttlebody swap.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, let me know how it feels!

I was kicking around having them flash mine (as it's literally right down the street from where I work) even just to remove torque management. Does the basic flash require 89 or 91 octane, or still run on 87?

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now theonly performance mod I can make is the Throttlebody swap.

TB swap is what I'd like to do too. I once did the TB in a Saturn SL2. Got one from the junk yard, took it home and bored it out to like 50xxmm or something. It sucked good. Along with the full exhaust (headers on back) from OBX, I could break the tires loose it that thing.

I wass actually thinking of doing the same thing my self with a junker TB, but the Fastman TB looks a bit more polished IMO. I'd have to get one and take a look at it first.

Let us know if you do it, I'd be real intrested in its results. :smokin:

Kasmir Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Fastman TB, JBA headers, Flowmaster super 44, Hi-po Cat, and K&N CAI. Need a shift kit and a tune. Post some info on how this is working out for you. What differences if any? What was the turn around time?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the Fastman TB, JBA headers, Flowmaster super 44, Hi-po Cat, and K&N CAI. Need a shift kit and a tune. Post some info on how this is working out for you. What differences if any? What was the turn around time?
Have a shift kit laying in the garage, interested ??

Latest posts

Members online