East penn / carquest battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima are overprice overhere ( 275 for a redtop )and I need a new battery. My mechanic told me that he is confident that East Penn battery will do it, actually a carquest manufactured by East Penn. The battery would be 189$. As far as I know NAPA battery are East Penn to so I might get one there with my autoclub discount. What do you guys think?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I think... if it has a warranty and at least 800 CCA's (for our climate) then your good to go... I have a pink bunny (Energizer) in mine :happy175:... 4 yrs no problems.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, NAPA batteries are East Penn, and they have worked well for me.

QuickSilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The majority of all car batteries sold in the US are manufactured by 3 companies - Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls Industries. Delphi makes some EverStart models sold in Walmart and ACDelco. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a % of the EverStart batteries. (wiki answers)

That said...

The 7 best car batteries you can buy:

Car batteries are not all the same. When when looking to buy a car battery you want to make sure you have the correct group size and the correct cold cranking amps for the area you live in. If you do not have enough amps, then your car will not start in the winter. The moment you notice your battery is starting to get weak, have it tested and then start shopping for a new one. Don't wait until you are stranded with a dead battery. There are 3 main companies that produce a range of batteries. Find the best for your car and make sure you always have power.

NAPA batteries are made by East Penn Manufacturing and these are good batteries for the price. There are many different types of batteries available from NAPA and they have excellent ratings. While they are designed to work even in cold temperatures, it can take a little while for the engine to turnover in severely cold temperatures.

DieHard: DieHard batteries are top of the line. They were originally the longest lasting car battery as they lasted longer than your car. Cars last longer today than when the battery was first produced, but it still offers some of the best performance, even in bitterly cold weather. Be aware that DieHard batteries are expensive and not considered a budget or affordable battery. However considering they last so long, you will easily get your money's worth.

Kirkland Signature: This range of car batteries is perhaps one of the most affordable batteries. You sacrifice nothing with this battery, as it has excellent cold amp rankings and great performance. The battery is offered through Costco and the specs match Optima batteries. This is one of your best choices, as the performance and quality is that of a high performance battery, but the price is much less.

Autocraft: Autocraft batteries are good but these are not recommended for areas with harsh winters, as they tend to do best in warmer climates. These batteries are long lasting and were designed to minimize corrosion. There is no resistance and has less warping and shorting due to its siding.

Optima batteries are one of the most expensive of the brands available, but you cannot find better performance rankings. This company mainly produces spiral wound cell batteries and gets some of the best reviews found online and from car part retailers.

EverStart batteries fit into the budget or affordable car battery category. However, the performance is excellent and you get the most for the low car battery price. This is a smaller battery, but performs well in all weathers. It is completely maintenance free. It is only available at Walmart, but don't let this put you off as it is an excellent car battery.

AC Delco is a leading brand and perfect for those that need a battery, but are on a very tight budget. The warranties offered are excellent, as they completely believe in their product. To make it out of the warehouse, the batteries must meet many tests which allow for high quality batteries. These batteries are frequently used by car manufacturers.

carsdirect.com

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that review and ended thinking it was kinda not objective XD But after reading a lot, it seems very hard to find a crappy car battery except for the one I have in mine XD

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow wonder who paid for that report :think:
X2.................

They left out the best battery on the market today(while optima is now the worst) which is the Odyssey Batteries,also sold as Sears DieHard Platinum Series, made by Enersys.The best warranty also,4 year free replacement and then 72 month pro-rated for a total of 120 months of warranty.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah saw the odyssey but sears canada sold it car department to another company long ago and now they don't sell car battery anymore.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah saw the odyssey but sears canada sold it car department to another company long ago and now they don't sell car battery anymore.
You can buy a actual Odyssey battery in Canada but you think a optima is expensive price out a PC1500.Though mine was made in april of '07 and still puts out over 1000cca's and is only rated for 825cca's.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've had 3 Diehard Golds in the KJ and my third one is starting to get a bit slow. Not impressed. Might try the Platinum or just get an Interstate. My LR3 has an Interstate one in it and it's still good after 2 years and it's pretty ******* batteries with all the electronic stuff.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah right now I am running my father in law interstate PRO-24M. Needless to say he need it back before the hunting season.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 3 Diehard Golds in the KJ and my third one is starting to get a bit slow. Not impressed. Might try the Platinum or just get an Interstate. My LR3 has an Interstate one in it and it's still good after 2 years and it's pretty ******* batteries with all the electronic stuff.
Interstate batteries = Johnson Controls
Optima batteries = Johnson Controls

:slap:

urbanboy

Reaction score
Oreilly auto battery are made by east penn witch is the same as deka battery all made in the U.S. east-penn/ deka are the same.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The odyssey batteries are nice. I use on in boat, great lightweight battery that is very powerful for its size. This one is the PC1200.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the mechanic have been testing my battery for the past 24hrs. when applying 300A on it she only drop to 10.8 which is pretty good since she is not supose to output that much amp. But 3 cells look wierd, the 3 first cell have a fluid acid and are full while the 3 last are more grey-ish and about 3/4 full so I`ll just got a new east-penn battery and install it later. Hope it fix everything.

captkirk66

Reaction score
I had some extra bucks one time,and wanted to try out the Optima just because of the reputation,and I've not been disappointed yet ! Might be a while before I see extra bucks again (ha) .

Latest posts

Members online