Early, early, early stages of planning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Been thinking and talking about driving to, and spending a few weeks in Alaska sometime... but it's usually never more than a daydream.

Till now.

Although it's a long way away, I'm trying to get together information and a game plan for making this happen during the summer/early fall of 2012 (if possible). The only real destination that I have so far is Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse via the Dalton Highway. Maybe over to Barrow also, if time/money allows.

Because planning is so early (meaning, I decided I wanted to make this happen.... yesterday), I don't have many details yet. I've been sending requests out for maps of the region, and all the literature I can find to help in planning.

I'm putting this out here as a planning thread... and wouldn't mind some input from anyone who has traveled through Alaska before, or that lives/lived there... more specifically, the northern area that we plan to visit. Routes to take? Points of interest? Things to be careful of? Things to not do? Any input would be great.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
summer 2012?? trying to see alaska before the end of the world happenes, or do you know something that we don't and is alaska a safe haven lol

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most logical happening for 2012 is Yellowstone erupting...if that happens the only land that wont be effected will be in the middle of asia, or near the south pole...that is till theres no oxygen left...which will take maybe a week.

My sister did a marathon in alaska....gorgeous out there, but i dont know anything else about the area

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
YC....you comming back before 12/21/2012 or what??........:D

More power to you for that trip. I always wanted to drive to Alaska. Not necissarily Prudoe Bay, but drive the AK Hwy to Fairbanks where I have relatives. Then I would wear out my welcome in a couple of days and have to spend the rest of the time exploring Alaska......:D

I had the chance once and backed off or I probably would have never come back. Crap happened.

Dave

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
HJ - never watched Ice Road Truckers... we lack cable stations at my house. :p Although I do know the concept of it. That's why I figured my first time up that way should probably be in nicer weather... as to not complicate things with quite so much cold and snow. :D

I might come back... maybe. ;)

Thinking of going August/September-ish.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
HJ - never watched Ice Road Truckers... we lack cable stations at my house. :p Although I do know the concept of it. That's why I figured my first time up that way should probably be in nicer weather... as to not complicate things with quite so much cold and snow. :D

I might come back... maybe. ;)

Thinking of going August/September-ish.

Sell everything (except the jeep) before you leave......do it.

Dave

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad packed up a family of 7 and drove from Rockford to Dawson City Y.T., Fairbanks, Anchorage, Haines Junction to Skagway on a train through the mountians, a boat down the inside passage stopping in Juneau, to Prince Rupert and then down trough Seattle and points back East. A month trip back in '72. 1970 Rambler Rebel stationwagon pulling a popup trailer before the Alcan Hyway was paved. I was 15 years old... and loved it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.alaska101.com/exploreAlaska/deltaj/alaska_travel_deltaj.htm

http://www.wpyr.com/#

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice, Tom! That sounds great! Kinda what we're looking to do... we're going to try to do it in 3 weeks though. Your first map shows pretty accurately the route we're talking about taking. Main points of interest so far is Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, and Denali. But still got a couple years of planning. :D

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove from Biloxi, MS to Anchorage in 1983 in a 1974 Jeep Cherokee. Its parked out behind the house. Never looked back. Get a copy of "The Milepost". Most complete publication on the market for travel to the Greatland. Choices are road travel through Canada (BC and Yukon) if crossing in the northwest of US. Or you can catch the Marine ferry system in Seattle/Vancouver area and travel to Haines. Driving to Barrow won't fly. No road. Deadhorse and Prudoe is doable but not a joy ride. There are a ton of places up here you can not drive to. This is one BIG honkin state. With a good map you can see the routes available. Anyhow, I would be happy to try and help you any way I can. Major highways run from Seward or Homer to the south, (they merge) up to Anchorage. From Anchorage you can drive NE (Glenn Higway) to Tok and the AK highway or N (Parks Highway) to Fairbanks via Denaili National Park. Fairbanks North will eventually get you to Deadhorse etc. From Tok you can drive to Chicken and Eagle or hang a right and drive to Dawson. This road only maintained in summer (our summer). A fun winter ride is Tok to Dawson via snowmachine (200 mile one way) over a weekend. Have done it once and plan to do it next year on my new Polaris Widetrak IQ 600.
Have lived her since June of 83 and have no desire to leave. You will find out why if and when you travel North.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll definitely be talking to you during planning, if you don't mind. :)

I'm interested in traveling to Tok as well - been watching someone else's blog recently on their trip this winter (-60* at times! :eek:). I'm not bold enough yet to travel it in the winter. Would like to do a summer trip... and then maybe a few years down the road, a winter trip.

We have an annual travel & adventure show that comes to town that is in a couple of weeks. The Alaska booths there are ones I'm going to check out in terms of getting some ideas, some maps, etc.... while trying to dodge all the vacation packages. We would like to do this very free-form, if we can get away with it.

I will definitely get my hands on a copy of 'The Milepost' too - thanks for that recommendation. Once I get some maps up and get a few other ideas together about routes and destinations, I will let you know... and get your insight.

Our spare bedroom has already turned into the Alaska trip command center. :D If this is anything like Ouray, CO (I know it's probably much, much better), then I know I won't want to come home. I didn't want to come back from Ouray either. I really can't wait to do this. :D

So... what's the job market like in Alaska? :p

Last edited:

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be happy to answer any questions I can. Those of us that live up here are happy to show it off. Occasional earthquakes, volcanoes and drop dead gorgeous mountains.
Regarding the job market, I can only speak from my experience and that is in health care. I am a retired (28 yrs military and 20 years civilian) Pharmacy Technician. Health care is good. Oil field work is slowing since we can not seem to convince folk to drill. We are behind the curve in relation to the lower 48. The slowdown took longer to reach us than you folk. To get a look at some of what goes on up here go to KTUU.com (local NBC affiliate). Also ADN.com which is the local paper. Not sure how the job listings are since I am not looking. There is work out there if I want it but I am doing well on SS and military retirement and VA disability.
Feel free to PM if you wish also and then go direct if you want.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.