Early Decision on Stereo System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I just checked.. Looks like they only have 1 Kicker package left.. And that's $800 package.. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VTTjwGtkt4D/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=208250&I=700KCKLVS

you certainly don't need that. However I can recommend MTX packages. A few people here have MTX and they have been enjoying the boxes.

Here is one that I was considering getting:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VTTjwGtkt4D/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=208250&I=700TC4510B
About 2 months ago there was a deal on these for $250 now it is back up to $300, but still cheaper than individually purchased package. 300 Watts. If you are not in a hurry, these may go down at the end of summer, or they may become sold out. Generally packaged deals go for $1 per Watt ;)

The rest of the packages are here: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VTTjwGtkt4D/cgi-bin/Prodgroup.asp?g=208250&avf=N

Good Luck!

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really recommend installing everything yourself. Its not as hard as people make it out to be as long as your careful and follow the instructions/use common since. I have a mid range (175.00 ) Sony 52x4 Head unit w/ Kicker KS60s in the door powered off the HU. Make sure the hu you buy has dedicated outputs for your subs. This will save you the need for crossovers and other accesories later on down the road. Also, make sure the HU is capable of adjusting strickly the subs. Most nicer HUs do, but make sure your does before purchasing. Another thing, figure 65.00 dollars for a wiring harness for your HU, and 100.00 for wires/fuses for your amp/sub installation. I personally don't like the basslink. If space is the big issue, I'd go with it. I personally have two tens in a smalled sealed box in the back of my libby with the amp mounted to the back of the box. They sound great in the small space and shake the windows with a firm, solid punch. Shop around, look at used equipment, and experiment.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I fell a little behind lol. They charged me $200 for installation, which I know is a little pricey. However, they had it for an entire day (I know they were working because I watched the whole time). They replaced the HU, the speakers, redid all the wiring, and troubleshooted the steering wheel controls for quite some time. I really don't regret paying them for the installation. The guys were very cool and the installation is guaranteed for a year. My speakers are also covered through a year warranty through Crutchfield.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They wired the steering wheel controls for you? Did you buy the PAC controller interface?

As for installation/replacing the HU, there is really nothing to it. Everything is color coded, put on the paper, and very simple. You cannot screw up with that kind of instructions. I forgot to wire the amp input to power in-door amps with the premium setup, I called crutchfield, they said "you forgot this", they knew what was the problem, and went back inside, 15 minutes later, it is working great. :)

As for the sub installation, it is a bit tricky, that's why I stayed away from it. Since it involves fuses, running cables through firewall, drilling, etc.. I decided not to get sub for now. If I have to, I will just pay bestbuy or circuit city to run the wires ONLY through firewall which they said should cost me $25-$30. As opposed to whole installation is about $100 for the subs depending on the work, etc..
x

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They wired the steering wheel controls for you? Did you buy the PAC controller interface?

Yeah, I got the PAC. Sorry, I guess that sounded misleading. I'm not sure if the OP is considering them or not, but they said very few people get them to work correctly.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have tedious registering process and weird wiring positions.

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is enough room to run all the cables under the carpet and around the door hinges when installing a sub and amp to not have to do any drilling or cutting into anything.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing, figure 65.00 dollars for a wiring harness for your HU, and 100.00 for wires/fuses for your amp/sub installation. quote]

$65 for a wiring harness? Every one I've seen cost $15-$20 if you don't get it free from Crutchfield.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it this way, in this video is my brother-n-law's system...you can definately do a good system on a budget.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YcNcusN1Q8s

This is what he has and what it cost:

Blaupunkt HU: $150
TMA Audio Amp (80 watts rms x 2): $200
Pioneer 12" subs (2): $60 each at WALMART
New box for (2) 12's at local flea market: $40
Amp wiring kit (4 ga.) from WALMART: $80
*factory door speakers*
total: $590

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is enough room to run all the cables under the carpet and around the door hinges when installing a sub and amp to not have to do any drilling or cutting into anything.

You have to run the power from the battery to inside the cabin through firewall and that needs penetration, even with Kevin's famous little opening, it is still a hassle. I try to avoid battery fiddling and sparks until I change my battery and clean my posts.

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power wire can run under the plastic moldings down the driver side of the car all the way from the amp to the hood, up threw the hinge area of the door, and under the hood. The only exposed wire is when the door is open in the hinged area. This prevents any need to drilling. Personally, I would'nt cheap out on speakers. Like 06Liberty cousin's system. The bass shakes the windows, but at the same time drowns out any sort of understandable music by over powering your mids and highs. I'll get an audio clip of my system sometime soon.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power wire can run under the plastic moldings down the driver side of the car all the way from the amp to the hood, up threw the hinge area of the door, and under the hood. The only exposed wire is when the door is open in the hinged area. This prevents any need to drilling. Personally, I would'nt cheap out on speakers. Like 06Liberty cousin's system. The bass shakes the windows, but at the same time drowns out any sort of understandable music by over powering your mids and highs. I'll get an audio clip of my system sometime soon.

well, it doesn't really drown it out like that in person...it's just the way the camera picks up the bass notes that makes it sound like that.
:D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
chesterp, what did end up doing?

chesterp

Reaction score
lol, its been a while... well like i said im only 14 but ive already read all of the books possible for driving tests ect. so when i turn 15 i can start driving. I wont have my Jeep (if i get one(lol)) around Jan. 2009. But im saving up... i do have to by a computer for school because our pc just died so im building a cheap one. Right now im using my dads laptop. So yeah.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allright, good luck pal! :)

Curt Donohew

Reaction score
You have to run the power from the battery to inside the cabin through firewall and that needs penetration, even with Kevin's famous little opening, it is still a hassle. I try to avoid battery fiddling and sparks until I change my battery and clean my posts.

Where is Kevins Little opening. I am trying to avoid drilling.......

Latest posts

Members online