Early Decision on Stereo System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks good to me! that should sound really good...and LOUD. are you just pre-shopping or is this the stuff you're gonna get? you'll need an amp for those door speakers though, and a box for the sub of course...unless you already have that stuff.

chesterp

Reaction score
this is just what i plan to get, what do you meen get an amp for the rear speakers

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would need an amp for the front and rear if you go with those speakers to make it sound right. A typical aftermarket HU only puts out about 20 watts rms...those speakers would need about 3 or 4 times that to sound like they should. You could get some "regular" aftermarket speakers that are plenty good enough that wouldn't require an amp. Something like these----- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03076&id=1134701298137--- if you like Alpine. They don't require as much power, and they're cheaper, and would sound just fine.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't buy it from Best Buy, they charge you arm and a leg for installation, or if you will install, they will charge you arm and a leg for every little piece of tool/adapter/harness/etc......

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please don't buy it from Best Buy, they charge you arm and a leg for installation, or if you will install, they will charge you arm and a leg for every little piece of tool/adapter/harness/etc......

I second that! Use Crutchfield....same price or cheaper, plus free stuff when you order.

chesterp

Reaction score
So wait... ill need the speakers you listed for all my doors, or just to replace the rears?!

my dad wont get anything expensive of the net. I wanted to get an HDTV for my Xbox 360 so i saved up for one and finaly got enough money. So when i showed my dad what i wanted i showed him a 26" Sharp HDTV for 500 on amazon. He was like no not from there we go to best buy to get it. We get to bestbuy and we get the same tv for 700 bucks. Anyways my point is, that he probably wont shoot for the crutchfield thing.... which ***** because i wanted my system from there originally and they even come with installation guides. Which meen I could do it my self. But we'll see what happens when i get my liberty :D.

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you don't have to get a component set for the front if you don't want to spend that kind of money. You can just get 2 sets of something like what I listed, then you've got about $200 in front AND rear speakers insted of $200 in just the front speakers. The speakers are the same front and rear, so it doesn't matter what you get really as long as they're 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" speakers. The tweeters in the dash can be disconnected since you'll have tweeters in the new front speakers, BUT, I left mine alone so they're still working along with my aftermarket Infinity door speakers and it sounds really good like that. There are several different things you can do, it just depends on the budget and the sound you're looking for.

In my system, I've got about $700 invested.

HU- http://www.crutchfield.com/S-piYiBFlwcP4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=kdc%2Dx591&i=113KDCX591

Front & Rear speakers- http://www.crutchfield.com/S-piYiBFlwcP4/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=1086012I&search=ref6012i

Sub- http://www.crutchfield.com/S-piYiBFlwcP4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=basslink&i=108BASSLIN

I would recommend getting a new HU first, listening to it, and THEN get new speakers if you think you need them. Most of the time, a new HU makes a pretty big difference in the sound quality and volume.

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So wait... ill need the speakers you listed for all my doors, or just to replace the rears?!

my dad wont get anything expensive of the net. I wanted to get an HDTV for my Xbox 360 so i saved up for one and finaly got enough money. So when i showed my dad what i wanted i showed him a 26" Sharp HDTV for 500 on amazon. He was like no not from there we go to best buy to get it. We get to bestbuy and we get the same tv for 700 bucks. Anyways my point is, that he probably wont shoot for the crutchfield thing.... which ***** because i wanted my system from there originally and they even come with installation guides. Which meen I could do it my self. But we'll see what happens when i get my liberty :D.

Just find a friend or relative who will order it for you, then just give them the cash! :)

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you find the basslink powerful?

yep, 200 watts rms. it's really loud and boomy once you get it adjusted the way you like it. It doesn't "hit" as hard as something like a 12" "regular" sub....but it's just as loud and has a better sound quality in my opinion

chesterp

Reaction score
Thanks man, i think buying a basslink sub will be good because its alot less expensive... im not looking for something thats really boomy i just want somthing that sounds good and as far as im concerned infinity makes the best subs. Next in line would be the pioneer subs, that will probably be my next choice up. BTW someone said something about bestbuy installation being expensive... how much would it be for them to install?!

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's about $50 EACH for new HU installation, speakers, or a amp/sub. Plus parts or wiring of course.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered everything off Crutchfield and then had Best Buy install it. I hate plastic trim, so I wasn't gonna mess with it. DO NOT buy the stereo equipment from Best Buy! I got $400 in Polk Audio speakers for $130 from Crutchfield and their customer service is spectacular.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much did they charge you to install everything? I've always just done it myself, that way I know it's right.

chesterp

Reaction score
Thanks man, i might order form crutchfield like you did. How much did they charge?!

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just go check it out... www.crutchfield.com They have free shipping, good prices, they include any wiring harnesses or dash kits you may need for free, and they'll give you detailed instructions for your vehicle so you can install it yourself with no problems...and if you do have problems, you can call them and they'll walk you through the installation. (had to do this for the steering wheel controls on my wife's car). Put it this way, if there's a HU at Best Buy that you want for $199 you'll have to pay the $199 plus $19 for the dash kit, plus $19 for the wiring harness, and plus $12 for the antenna adapter. That's about $250 total. If you order the same HU from Crutchfield, you pay $199 and they'll send you all that other crap for free....so you end up saving about $50 on JUST the HU.

chesterp

Reaction score
crutchfield here i come :D... i can probably get a good lift if i install everything my self. BTW did you write a review on the basslink because im looking at the review for the basslink on crutchfield and i got someone from AL that put one in a KJ

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think basslink is cheap, price wise OR quality wise.
You are getting just a bit less bass rumble compared to similarly priced, similarly powered, kicker sub package. Crutchfield also carry bass packages, they are bulky boxes but they will shake the jeep for same price ($200 range) amp and remote controls included..

Members online

No members online now.