e-brake stuck i think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnm45227

Reaction score
guys our '05 renegade smells and acts like the e-brake is stuck. has any body had this happen, how do i get it to release?

btw, just turned 36500. the only warranty would be the extended, but if i use it i don't get the $1500 back at 7years or 70k miles.

i'm sure i could figure it out, but you guys can save me some time if you know how the mechanism releases.

thanks,
Doug

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What makes you think its the ebrake?

Ive read about the calipers sticking on the rear, that could be your problem. O:)

dnm45227

Reaction score
both at the same time? is there a recall, will it becovered even though i'm past 36k?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No recall, but there was a TSB. It would be a big coincidence if both did it at the same time. :-k

I believe the brakes were only covered for 12k. ](*,)

dnm45227

Reaction score
ya i just put my vin in and it came back with only the lbj recall. looks like i'm going to have to get my hands dirty.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I don't think the TSB for the stuck calipers goes to the 05 model....although I could be mistaken.

Sent ya a PM Doug...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I don't think the TSB for the stuck calipers goes to the 05 model....although I could be mistaken.

Sent ya a PM Doug...

I thought I read where someone said there was one. I do know Ive read about alot of them sticking and making the rotor red hot..

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
2003KJ said:

Sent ya a PM Doug...

I thought I read where someone said there was one. I do know Ive read about alot of them sticking and making the rotor red hot..

Right, but I think that was only on the 03-04 models...cause I've heard of several cases of them sticking. But, i'm not sure is there's a TSB, and I believe the issue doesn't concern 05+ models...

dnm45227

Reaction score
2003KJ said:

Sent ya a PM Doug...

got the pm thanks for the offer.

i got too busy today to pull the wheels off, but i did drive it and didn't get that hot brake smell so i'm encouraged. however i looked at the spacing on the crd and the rennie's pads are much closer (maybe touching) the rotor.

dnm45227

Reaction score
i'm keeping a close eye on them. i want to be sure it's a problem before i tear into it.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok sorry to bring this back. can someone PM me to actual TSB for this caliper/pad issue? my driver side rear brake started this smell thing the other day. doesnt do it all the time, but if I goto a stealership I want to be sure I can back my story to get the parts or time in the bay.

it has to be stuck, it smells like when you drive away with the park brake on (blarg)

FYI - 2003 sport 86k

jonb

Reaction score
Caliper replaced under warranty

Had an intermittent problem with the rear driver's side caliper sticking on - my dealer replaced the caliper under warranty last week (I have 54,000 kilometers, bumper-bumper warranty is to 60,000 kilometers). The "disposable" part of the brakes (pads) are only warranted for 12 months.

kjfan18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it happen to my 03 and what I did was replace the caliper, rotor, pads, and parking brake shoes. I cleaned all of the internal parking brake parts, greased up everything real good, careful not to get any grease on the pads, put everything back together and it seemed to fix it. Havent had any issues with it since. Hope this helps. Oh and I took it to the dealer before I did all of this and they said it was more likely that it was my parking brake sticking and they wanted to charge me around $500 dollars to fix it. I spent about $150 on parts.

dnm45227

Reaction score
i have to say i haven't touched them yet. i hear a squeak and catch a whiff of that un-mistakable brake burn stinchevery now and then still, but by and large it hasn't been an issue.

i did notice that the pads are getting really thin. i'm going to tear into it next weekend for sure. hopefully i won't have to replace the calipers.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so from the sounds of it, it isnt a terrible issue unless it is happening all the time? my wife drives this thing, and it has happened twice in two weeks - didnt even seem to be that bad. thing is, she is freaking out thinking the brakes will blow so made me go by the stealership - they want 90 diagnostic fee, to which i know they will say she needs new brakes and probably just put some CRC on the pads.

should i just drop the pads and CRC them myself and assume this issue was probably just a random pad sticking?

dnm45227

Reaction score
really depends on how bad they are sticking. like i said i only think it happens every once in a while, but my pads are very worn now and i really need to get to it.

bottom line, sounds like you have the skills to at least put some pads and lube on for half of what the dealer is going to charge you to look at it. if i were you i'd take the odds that your efforts will take care of the issue.

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have the TSB info for the rear calipers sticking??? My 03 has that problem...

Thanks...Pat

benji_KJ2003

Reaction score
I have a KJ2003,

It has the same problem.

one day after high way drive, somebody tole me "your rotor is on fire" Then I noticed that the rear right rotor is smoking.. Thats terrible !!!

Now I am carrying a "Formula 1 lub" with me all the time and apply it to the calipper after every drive.

Latest posts

Members online