Dumping the '05 for a '08

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2005 Liberty Sport "smart buy" (like a lease but you own it with a big baloon payment at the end) is up next month. Instead of refinancing the baloon on it, we're looking at leasing a new 2008 Liberty Sport.

I do not really want this 2005 anymore.... the warranty is over. And the dealer service cannot figure out this mystery "no start" problem (no start, no computer codes). I figure it is in the Sentry Key system. It comes and goes and never happens while at the dealer service.

So I figure a new one with the lifetime warranty is much better since I'll be paying something per month anyway.

Dealers do not make it easy to compare their deals to other dealers.

Wish we could afford to buy a 2008 rather than lease but the payments are way too high for us.

Just a minor rant here.......:(

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a 2006-2007 KJ or 2005-2006 TJ? Find one off autotrader or craigslist.

Is there an advantage to a 2006 or 2007? I figure you mean a purchase? I think that would be without a warranty if not bought from a dealer?

For some reason the lifetime warranty on the 2008 is NOT transferable. Like it should matter that the car is sold?

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an advantage to a 2006 or 2007? I figure you mean a purchase? I think that would be without a warranty if not bought from a dealer?

For some reason the lifetime warranty on the 2008 is NOT transferable. Like it should matter that the car is sold?

Just figured you wanted something new(er). Not sure if the 7/70K mile warranty is transferable. Personally I like the 2002, but I'm a bit bias. But if you can find a CRD snatch it quick!

ride4lamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 04 used this past December with 35K on it...it still had the seven year 70 on it. Three years had passed so I didn't get the other one. 3/36 warranty.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldnt buy another Jeep from that dealer if they cannot fix your Jeep. I would give them one last chance to fix it then tell them where to go and where youre going, to another dealership.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 04 used this past December with 35K on it...it still had the seven year 70 on it. Three years had passed so I didn't get the other one. 3/36 warranty.

A 2004 Jeep Liberty came with a 7 yr 70K mile warranty? Was that an EXTENDED warranty?

Our 2005 Liberty had only a 3 yr/39K mile warranty. At least that was what I was told.

clmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought the 2004, we paid $1400 to transfer over the remainder of the 7/70.

Of course, the walls of the guy's office was plastered with sales awards for selling warranties.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in 04 they offered a nicer warranty, i got it on mine also. Even better the people who owned my kj before me got it in 05 so i still have the full bumper to bumper warranty for 1 more month lol

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
here's the deal, standard BUMPER TO BUMPER warranty which covers everything except wear items is 3 years, 36,000 miles. This is for every KJ (and KK).

Some of the '02s and '03s have 7 year, 100k mile warranties, only for POWERTRAIN.

'03s - '05s have a 7 year, 70k mile warranty only for POWERTRAIN.

'06-'08s if bought after July 26, 2007 have a LIFETIME powertrain warranty, gas engines only, excludes SRT-8 models and fleet vehicles. Also, you have to get it inspected every 5 years.

If an '06-'08 was bought BEFORE July 26, 2007, it ONLY has a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty, period.

If you paid $1400 to transfer your 7/70 Powertrain warranty on your '04 you got ripped off majorly. Is it possible that he sold you a 7/70 BUMPER to BUMPER warranty? Possibly, but if he didn't, you got screwed because it already has a 7/70 POWERTRAIN warranty and the transfer fee for that is ONLY $100.

OK I *think* I covered everything. To figure out which warranty you actually have, see your local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep superstore. :p

BTW: Leasing *****. I know where you're coming from. I've had 2 KJ leases and my sister is talking about not keeping hers so it might be going back as well. I told her that she should definitely keep it since it has been reliable as heck over the years... unlike my '06. Bad decisions... might as well give away money. I don't think I'll ever do that again.

Last edited:

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'03s - '05s have a 7 year, 70k mile warranty only for POWERTRAIN.

If you paid $1400 to transfer your 7/70 Powertrain warranty on your '04 you got ripped off majorly. Is it possible that he sold you a 7/70 BUMPER to BUMPER warranty? Possibly, but if he didn't, you got screwed because it already has a 7/70 POWERTRAIN warranty and the transfer fee for that is ONLY $100.

Correct. My '05 came with a 36 month/36000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, and to transfer the 7/70 power train warranty was $100, which the dealer threw in for free.

At 36600 miles, my KJ has developed a short in the left parking light/license plate circuit that keeps blowing the 10 amp fuse. Of course the dealer says Chrysler won't cover it, and it'll only cost $76 just to LOOK at it............but that's another post.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you're after the new body style, see if you can find a left-over 2007 and cut an awesome deal...

clmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1400 was for b2b. They did offer the powertrain, at $150, but when I remember the $3000 in warranty work I got on the ZJ, I figured I should cover my ass.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are about the same size but they took the spare tire off and made it longer. Specs say they are the same length but its wrong since they counted the spare on the KJ's.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we did it. Turned in the 2005 and leased a 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 with the Prefered Equipment Group. $400 and change down TOTAL.

They look better in and out than the 2005. Those grey platic fender flares on teh 05 looked cheesy in comparison Nicer ride not as hard and jolting. More upscale looking dashboard and instruments - very brighttoo. 4x4 selector is now electronic instead of manual. Stereo sounds good. And there are lights in the rear seats ceiling. Pwr window switches moved to the doors where they shoulda been.

Feels like the power from a standing start is being held back a tad from the 2005. Maybe cause it is brand new or maybe the traction control is playing chaperone.

Only negative so far is there is only one 12V accessory plug in the dash and it is down low on the passenger side knees. Shoulda been higher and closer to the driver so that chargers w/integral cradles for phones/mp3players etc can be safely viewed by the driver.

Reaction score
the new libby is crap. horrible crash test ratings. decent off road. not good gas mileage. get a wrangler if anything

people who already bought on 08 sorry if your offended.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It didnt get bad test crash ratings. You must of seen that little tid bit on the news one morning(I did and its crap)

KK is built on the same frame as the KJ so its pretty much the same when it comes to crash test ratings. And dont tell me its not the same frame since Ive already crawled all over one and its exactly the same under those different body panels.

If anything its better offroad then a KJ with all that traction control, hill decent control and all that crap. Slap a lift on it and be happy.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the 08 Libberty got very good crash test ratings.

Yep, my DW did go over mileage. I warned her.

Latest posts

Members online