Dual battery system, where to put 2nd batt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
...Of wiring two 6 volt batts in series will make the perfomance suk even more than it's 12V counterpart.

That's B.S.!:happy175:
Don't tell that to the hundreds of Hot Rod owners and other modified vehicle owners who use two six volt
Optima batteries due to limited space in their Rod's and Customs!:shrug::freak3:

The only optima batteries we get here is out of Chrysler cars. There is no agent here that i know off.
Steve, a switch sounds like a good idea. did not plan on jumping or starting from the second battery becouse of the distance to the second batt, and then you need really thick wire and to start a car from a deep cycle battery is not good for the battery.
But i wil keep it in mind to be able to equalize the two if need be.

It's hectic at work so i must wait until i have some free time again before i can finish!!! Its so frustrating

Just as an FYI, the Optima Yellow Top and Blue Top Deep cycle batteries are
designed for starting as well.

Also, a quick search on Google.za turned up this:
Deltec
34 Sixth Street
2090 Wynberg
Phone: +27 11 786 4911
http://www.deltecpower.co.za/

Last edited:

Bulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, the Optima Yellow Top and Blue Top Deep cycle batteries are
designed for starting as well.

Also, a quick search on Google.za turned up this:
Deltec
34 Sixth Street
2090 Wynberg
Phone: +27 11 786 4911
http://www.deltecpower.co.za/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that link Ryan, every day you learn to never say never.
I already have the Deltec 105 ah battery and it works for me, but when i bought it the shop owner told me its for low power consumption and not for starting or winching. Its about the internal construction to minimize resistance.
You really swear by your Optima batteries Ryan?
Just a FYI:
Blue top 75 ah Optima = R3085.98 = $440.85
Yellow 75 ah Optima = R4170.12 = $595.73
Deltec 105 ah = R1413.60 = $201.94
I will stick to my deltec, It's more for less. The one i have at the moment is roughly 6 years old. Do not know anything about the optima stuff, but at that prices it will stay that way.

In my 13years camping and 4x4ing i never needed to jump start, Runstart, push a car to start. I do however make sure my jumper cables are packed.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R4170.12?? I think the phrase rhymes with "clucking bell" !
We get screwed so badly by postage and customs in our little corner of the world :(

Go to know there are cheaper, quality alternatives though :)

Bulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ja, its a rip off. No wonder its not on every spares shop shelve.
BTW, will a optima out perform a Deltec with 30ah more capacity with R2757? i doubt it.
It reminds me of the two guys with their fortuner's with every modification under the sun that made remarks when we (me and a friend with a xj) arrived at the one trail in the group behind them. At the end it was the nearly standard jeeps who had to tow them out... Its not always the best just becouse it's the most expensive.

Like i said before, i do not know the optima brand, but maybe it's a good thing.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Raylite 658C Sealed Silver Calcium in my 2002 CRD which cost me about R1,300.00. I did not even bother to enquire at the dealership about a price for the original battery for my CRD. This battery is physicaly a bit longer than the original battery so I had to extend the battery tray somewhat to get it to fit......it has plenty cranking power to turn the diesel over!

dogran999

Reaction score
Fridge batteries

So I had the same issue and built a box to go under the fridge with 4 20ah deep discharge AGM ups batteries under it on their sides. This keepa my icecream pretty cold when we are in the desert. To stop overcharge and possible battery or alternater dammage I have a 30Amp battery to battery charger under the drivers seat with the fire extinguisher now under the passenger seat. the fridge draws 5amps constant load so usually runs 24hrs with no rwcharge at full load. The battery pack usually takes about 2hrs to recharge back to 80% then tops off as long as you're driving.

As the charger completely isolates both battery banks there os no chamce of running the starter battery down as the charger will cut off once the main battery drops bellow 12.5v essentially when ever the alternator is off or maxed out with other loads such as lights or winches.

Have used this setup for 3 years with long outings into the desert with no problem, although the jeep needs a vent for the heat output from the fridge so I tend to leave the split seat down with the window open at night.

Hope this is of use. Will add pics if anyone is interested.

C

Members online