Driving with Front sway bar removed-diagnostic only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I safely drive around town (say 40mph tops) with the front sway bar removed. I'm trying to chase down a clunking noise in the front suspension. I've replaced the steering rack bushings, outer tie rod ends, springs, shocks, sway bar links & cushions. I just want to drive with the sway bar disconnected and see if the clunking goes away, gets worse, etc.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done it but since you are aware that it will handle differently just pay attention and don't push her and I imagine you should be fine.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you checked the ball joints? Usually one of the first things you check....
Is the clunking in the steering or on bumps?

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ball joints were inspected when I had the front end aligned last month. Shop didn't notice anything worn beyond spec and there were no issues getting the alignment correct. (unlike the idiots at Les Schwab that claimed I would need a caster kit to get the alignment correct) Jeep drives beautifully. Probably the best it ever has.
I have several noises I'm trying to track down actually. One is a squeaky chatterery kind of sound. Similar to the sound two styrofoam coolers make when rubbing together. This noise started after I installed OME 928 springs and Bilstein shocks. It only makes the noise on small bumps that don't cause much suspension articulation. I also get a bumping noise from the front end occasionally that can happen during a turn or while going straight. I don't get the noises going over large bumps, like speed bumps and big potholes. All this strange noises started after I installed OME springs last February. The noises were very subtle at first but have gotten louder. I'm all most to the point of just throwing new parts at the suspension until the noise goes away.
On a positive note, I just moved so my commute went from 100 miles a day to 5 miles a day, so this stuff isn't as big a priority for me. Well, except with my personality, squeaks, rattles, burned out light bulbs and other little things like that, drive me FREAKING NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I accidentally drove my KJ with the front swaybar disconnected on one of of the local interstates at 65+ mph. Not a good experience - very, very squirrely. I didn't realize at the time that I had lost part of the hardware on the swaybar link. eek2.gif

If you knowingly have it disconnected for diagnostics and are super careful driving it, I don't think it'll be too much of an issue. I don't recommend it for the long-term though.

I don't know that you can find anything more with the swaybar disconnected than connected... I've had the gamut of suspension noises, and I've never had to disconnect the swaybar to find them. :shrug:

You might want to actually start by tightening your swaybar links while the KJ is on the ground... they ALWAYS chatter when even the slightest bit loose.

Good luck!

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jayme. The reason I want to disconnect the swap bar is to rule out or confirm it's contribution to the cacophony of under side noises. Many of the posts I found during my search pointed to the sway bar as a noise source. Some posts suggested replacing parts, others indicate a good spray of silicon lubricant will stop the noises. I've tried all the recommended solutions with no luck. I would rule out the sway bar except there was a post where a member was trying to figure out a noise and numerous posters responded about checking the sway bar. The member in question, kept saying "no, has to be something else" and continued to replace parts of his Liberty. Finally, he went back to the sway bar and that WAS the source of his noise.
By disconnecting my sway bar and driving to and from work there are spots in the road that always cause the noises. If the noise is still there with the sway bar disconnected I will know to look elsewhere.
The drive is all city streets, top speed about 35 and no sharp turns.

Latest posts

Members online