Driving in Sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool article. Fortunately I think I did everything correctly except I forgot to lower the air pressures. Personally I used 4WD Full Time most of the time and then Part Time when the sand became very deep. I think even walking through the deepest would have been difficult but I wasnt gonna stop to check :)

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last time I went, I lowered pressure down to about 8psi. yeah, and that was with stock SR/As before I lifted.

I disagree with the advice to avoid 4-low, but for different reasons. 4-low isn't just for rock-crawling, it's for any situation where you will be moving at a slow speed (under 20 or so) for a long time. It's better for the engine and transmission to be going at the right speed, you don't want to be at a low idle the whole time, your ****** will overheat, and you don't have much speed control. Try it sometime, pick a number between 1 and 15mph or so, and try to stay at exactly that speed. The jeep will not be happy with you. In 4-low, though, it's a piece of cake. I put my jeep in 4low in 1st gear, and it's much slower than idle in 4hi/2wd. I can actually get up into 3rd or 4th gear before hitting 15mph, which is good, because you're not as limited by what speed you can go.

As far as 2wd vs 4wd, if you have 4wd, why not use it. Momentum is definitely key, and so long as you keep moving you're fine, but with 2wd, you really only have ONE wheel pushing you. If that wheel happens to hit a soft spot, your momentum could disappear fast. 4wd you'd have 2 driving wheels, so it's going to be more likely to keep your momentum going.

My advice is, if you are stock height, REMOVE YOUR SKIDPLATES. There's nothing on a beach that you'll hit, but those plates drag and get you stuck all over the place.

chromed1

Reaction score
In Australia we have very soft sand. There are huge dunes 30 minutes from my house that eventually I will experience in my KJ. I look forward to digesting all these views. Alot of people that frequent these dunes have Patrols or Landcruisers, I think the KJ will hold its own but we will see. I'll let you know.

by big dunes I mean big!! [-o<

You must be registered for see images attach

chromed1

Reaction score
I have a lot of friends that go 4x4 in these dunes so Im going to trust them. There is some harder sand close to the water, of course, but you dont want to get stuck as the tide is changing.
Last year a brand new Cherokee Grand caught fire in these same dunes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.