Driver Side Window Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
My window rolls down fine...but when I try to roll it back up (ELECTRIC), the window slants sideways a little and won't roll up. Until I physically grab it and straighten it back up...then it rolls the rest of the way up fine.

What could be the problem....its a 2007, so its under warranty. I just want to make sure the JEEP garage has what I need before I make the long trip to go there. I don't want to have to make 2 trips.

Clark (SupermanWV)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of a few 2007's with this issue. I have the SAME issue. I plan on taking it in this spring.

If you find out what it is, please let me know. I'll do the same if I beat you in there.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like its popping off track. Im not really sure what they have to replace to fix that. They would probably load it up with grease and send you along your way(not a fix).

I dont think a window regulator can make it slant like that. Its possible I guess.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't wrap my head around it blake. If you watch, at a certain point it almost tips forward and then rights itself. The passenger one does this.

The driver's will tip forward and jam. If you keep it from tipping, it rolls up just fine. Doesn't seem to be off-track. Everything seems to move smoothly, it just tips and jams.

I've heard of at least 5 '07's on the forums with this problem. Must be a setting that was wrong at the factory or something?

Gige

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah, I had exactly the same problem. Went to the garage and they have replaced complete mechanism under warranty. Once. Then next time replaced mechanism and rubber guide/seal around the window. Under warranty. Again. Now it's working fine (knock on wood) Warranty is soon out, I'm a bit afraid what will happen next...
BTW, Steering wheel clicking is back. After they replaced complete steering wheel shaft once and clockspring next time...
Aaaahhhhh.........

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My window rolls down fine...but when I try to roll it back up (ELECTRIC), the window slants sideways a little and won't roll up. Until I physically grab it and straighten it back up...then it rolls the rest of the way up fine.

What could be the problem....its a 2007, so its under warranty. I just want to make sure the JEEP garage has what I need before I make the long trip to go there. I don't want to have to make 2 trips.

Clark (SupermanWV)

Mine was doing the same thing. Took it in and they just lubed the tracks. Seems to be working fine, now.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll demand they do more than lube the tracks. I mean, it has 12,500 miles on it. No way that should be happening. Not to mention, it started at the end of summer (occasional occurance) and that was under 10k miles. Additionally, the passenger one works just fine.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Yeah, my car has 10,900 miles on it. So they should just replace the whole piece under warranty without any issues.

It seems there are metal clips that hold the window to the track...if one clip broke or came off, then it seems it would tip forward....but who knows what the issue is.

I'll find out today at 3:00pm, as I have an appointment at the dealership.

I've only owned the car for a month or so.

Clark

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My '06 was doing the same thing on the passenger side front window. Dealer claimed they fixed it, well they didn't, as it was still doing it.

At least 3 Libertys that I drive at work have had this issue as well, with the driver's side window.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine rolls up and down as smooth as silk. I polished the glass on the outside not long ago and also applied rain-x to it. The inside of the window is tinted so its also very slick. I lubed the regulator not long ago with white lithium and I probably never will again. Everytime I put the window down it would get grease it on, did that for around a month.

I need to clean the tracks and grease those but I would probably take every door panel off to do it right.. I wont go that far until I start having problems.

Tjdreams

Reaction score
I need to get mine in soon to get both driver and passenger front windows fixed for the same problem. I'll have over 29,000 on my 07 by the time we get back from visiting my Daughter and Grandson next week. I also got a loud wind howling noise at 70mpg and water runs down the inside of the windshield when it rains hard

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to tint my windows, but I want it fixed first as you know they'll blame the tint for extra drag or something.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Here is what they did to mine on FRIDAY....

They did the TSB, and lubed the tracks. Says they adjusted some kind of grove that the window slides in....NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS...

Basically they tilted the main piece the window sits on to make it keep the window tilted towards the rear of the door so it goes all the way up without leaning forward....

Who knows how long this will last....HOPEFULLY for good.

Seems to work fine at this point.

Clark

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My drivers side does the tilt and lock thing and the rear driver side window wont go up or down at all just makes a weird noise. I put a suction cup on the window to keep it from sliding down and letting weather in. im going to get it fixed today.

matthewheld

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's your regulator

Before I bought my used Liberty, I spoke with the service writer and parts guy at the local dealership about issues with the Liberty. Window regulator was brought up repeatedly.
I have replaced 5-6 window regulators in my lifetime, and one - in a Chrysler van, did the same thing before it broke.
My driver's side is getting noisy, and I'm going to replace it before it brakes.

TIP: Next time you're in a hardware store (or just see one holding a door open) pick up a rubber door stop. I used one before to wedge between the window sill and the window to keep it up. When the regulator breaks, the window will typically fall down and will not stay up.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what they did to mine on FRIDAY....

They did the TSB, and lubed the tracks. Says they adjusted some kind of grove that the window slides in....NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS...

Basically they tilted the main piece the window sits on to make it keep the window tilted towards the rear of the door so it goes all the way up without leaning forward....

Who knows how long this will last....HOPEFULLY for good.

Seems to work fine at this point.

Clark

Cool, thanks for the info. That's what I think it'd need too - I assumed it just needs an adjustment. I am confident I COULD fix it, but screw that. It's under warranty, they can do it. Plus, if the regulator does go out later on, they can't point the finger at me.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
YEAH...I thought it was fixed....BUT NO WAY.

I had to take it back yesterday for the same problem...so they replaced the regulator on the inside. Which is fine and dandy...but after leaving I noticed the window is still loose (moving side to side about 1/2 inch or so...the passenger side does not do that.) And before I left the garage...I noticed that they messed up the bottom rubber seal between the window and door...and the entire rubber strip that goes around the entire upper three sides of the window...that the window itself sets into when rolled up.

Needless to say...they ordered those two pieces and it has to go back to the shop once again...supposedly this Saturday.

I'm also gonna make them adjust the window a little tighter so it doesn't move back and forth so much.

They probably won't like me when this whole window thing is over....may have to find another local Jeep dealer to go to :) for future repairs.

I'll let you know how things work out.

Clark

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Well I went back in for the 6th time and they finally fixed the window. However, they messed up both the bottom weather strip and the one that goes around the window...so they had to order those in and replace them...

After I got it home...after all of that...when I pulled my door handle on the inside it wouldn't unlock the door like its supposed too. Well, rather than go back to them I took the door panel off to fix it myself...cause I didn't know how many times it would take them to fix it...

ANYWAY...the whole piece that goes from the door handle to the lock mechanism that pushes the rod up to unlock the door, was BENT beyond belief. It took me a while to bend it back to shape...but luckily I got it done without having to replace any parts.

SO FOR ANYONE OUT THERE FROM FAIRMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, or the surrounding area.... DON'T EVER GO TO URSE DODGE or URSE HONDA and BUY A CAR/JEEP/WHATEVER, unless you have another dealership to take the car to for service or help of any kind.

Thanks for reading..

Clark (SupermanWV)

Latest posts

Members online