don't want life, but think I need shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeRecruit84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't want to lift the jeep yet. However I believe I need shocks on her. She's been making noise going over speed bumps. Like a I have no suspension noise. Almost a woo noise. It's odd. What would yo guys recommend? I'm looking at the bilsteins. I know the jeep has just over 140K and was well maintained by the previous owners. Just I hear about sagging and everything. I think the springs are ok, just needs some shocks.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at 140k miles I can 99.9% guarantee you that the factory springs are not ok. Do the shocks and springs together, you'll be glad you did. Especially in the front, it's a coil over system, so you need to completely disassemble and reassemble the shock/spring...might as well only do that once and do it right the first time.

As far as shocks, Bilsteins are good...a lot of people like Rancho's as well. I did ironman coils and shocks recently and I'm very happy with them.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
lol .. well at least it's not the suicide thread I worried it might be when I read the title ...:happy175:

Can't help you with shocks other than to say I like my OME's ... everyone will tell you though, your stock springs have already lived almost two lifetimes :)

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol yup..and basically said the same thing haha. I was a little worried about the title too. gotta be really depressed when needing shocks is that one last straw....

How could things in my life get any worse ::goes over that speed bump:: that's it, time to just end it all. :Grenade:

RenegadeRecruit84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here's a more important question. Tires or shocks? right now I'm running the stock tires that came from the factory. Granted I didn't put them on. Previous owners always ran them. But I'm looking at the Goodyear Authorities. I like em, but then again there is the suspension issue. Which would one of you guys do? I'm kinda going somewhere where it's gonna be snowing a lot too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good tires are a must, Authorities are a good tire from everything I read on them. I have the Duratracs which are about the same and they have been great in all kinds of weather conditions

Now as far as just replacing the shocks,....waste of money. Without replacing the springs the shocks will wear faster and in no time you'll need to do it again. I would NEVER go to stock suspension parts, always upgrade when you can. At least go with OME 925s in front , they are rated at 350 lbs spring rate so more control better handling but not much if any lift

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now the Jeep has the stock 235-70 tires. However the Goodyear Authorities come in 225 75. Is there an actual difference in size?

They are narrower, but fundamentally the same diameter.

Yes, i would rather have a narrower better tire then the opposite.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I have the Goodyear Wrangler Authority 225/75/16 on my 07.

I got them for $98 each on closeout. For the price they are great, they do good in all types of road conditions.
There are alot of good tires out there for a little more money, I wouldn't have got them if they hadn't been on closeout.