Dome light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 liberty and This morning on the way to work I noticed that the dash lights were very dim. So I turned the nob on the left side of the wheel to turn them up., but when I turn it one notch the dome lights come on. It clicks about 4 or 5 times. The first click turns the dome lights on, then if I keep turning the dash lights get brighter. It's like it's working backwards all of a sudden. Dome lights use to be the last now the first. I know this is silly but kinda aggravating. Any ideas what is going on here?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the multi function switch is busted. Very easy to replace. Take off the clam shell of the steering wheel (2 torx bit screws...not sure on size at the moment), then the switch just lifts right off. Pull the plug and it's removed. Reverse for install.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad mfs to me. I have an extra one laying around but it's the one equipped for fog lights

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^yes 2 different MF switches available. I for fogs & 1 without fog lights. Be sure to order correct one.
There is a youtube video showing removal, it's a T-20 (2 top screws) and an electrical connector, need to be removed, and new one just drops in!
You start by removing the lower then the top plastic cover first.
I thought we had a how 2 on this..hmmm..?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are actually three multi-function switch combos. With out fog light, with fog lights, with front and rear fog lights (export only).

WINGDOG

Reaction score
I know it's been a while but did you ever solve this problem? Mine started doing the exact same thing.