Do I need these tools?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who have done their own cylinder head work on a 3.7, I am awaiting the arrival of my newly rebuilt heads and flipping through my manual today I noticed a couple of tools I may need. First is cam holder#8428 and second is secondary camshaft chain holder#8429.

krawlr4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya when I did my timing belt the first time I didn't use the recommended cam holder/lock tool and my method was wrong, eyeballed the notches and smacked the belt on.. Well if the cam sprocket moves at all while you slip the belt on, even like A hair, your timing is off and in my case, the jeep wouldn't keep idle, had to tear it down, use the recommended cam lock tool and put it back together with no issues, 45,000 miles later and no problems!

Last edited:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats an affirmative there, and why would you ever turn down an opportunity for new tools?!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't use the tools and may have been fortunate - timing was perfect at initial startup.

But knowing now what I didn't know then...I'd get the tools. Will make sure you get the timing right. Yep, get 'em :waytogo:

Bob