Do I need a new battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda already know the answer to my question but I'll ask it anyways for confirmation.

My headlights dim just a bit when I apply the brakes.
Could this be because I need a new battery?

I know if I leave my Jeep parked for a week or two the battery will go flat.
That's why I suspect/know I need a new battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LiquidSteel

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I had the same issue. I figured the cold snap we received was testing my battery. I replaced it, however it turned out to be the voltage regulator inside of the alternator. I now have a brand new battery and a brand new alternator. eventually you may have to replace both.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the job of the battery is to start the vehicle and to compensate the little dips in voltage that the alternator and voltage regulator can't do.
Hopefully all I will need is a new battery.
I'm shopping for one now.
I bought my 04 Liberty in 05 and I've replace both the alternator and battery once each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the job of the battery is to start the vehicle and to compensate the little dips in voltage that the alternator and voltage regulator can't do...

That leaves you back at the original question. Are the lights dimming because the battery isn't compensating like it should? Or is the battery having to do too much compensating for deficiencies in the alternator?

I'll tell you this, I think I'd rather have almost any other problem than an electrical one. :(

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Randy please ensure you get a 800CCA + battery!
Hold old is your current one and what was the CCA rating?
I always load test my battery each fall and if you have removable caps, a battery tester or hydrometer in each cell will give you the state of charge.
I normally leave my jeep plugged into a C-Tek charger in colder months. I know it likes that & it will start great.
You may have a "Battery Direct" there....I get easily 6 years out of these batteries...850CCA !
51213[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• BatteryDirect850CCA.jpg
    BatteryDirect850CCA.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 0

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First check all the battery connections are clean and tight including the negative battery lead going to the chassis and the grounding strap the grounds the engine to the chassis.

Buy a cheap digital multimeter and read the voltage across the battery...should read at least 12.5 volts with engine off, should not drop below about 10 volts when turning the engine over and should read about 13.5 volts at idle. This last measurement will tell you if the alternator is working OK.

Most likely the battery has a high internal resistance and needs changing.

You only really need an 800 CCA battery if you own a CRD but there is no such thing as having too many CCAs!

On second thoughts maybe for Canada a 800 plus CCA battery is a good idea though!

Last edited:

Members online