Disc Brake upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ2005

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their rotors, or seen a kit full kit with rotors and calipers?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt know that phil?! Did you get them from tirerack? Ive been thinking about getting those when the time comes.

what pads did you go with?

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I upgraded my rotors to Drilled, Slotted
I am very happey with the performance speacially on summer.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if you actually gained any performance. I don't know about off-roading, but I know unless you do a lot of racing on road courses you aren't going to gain anything from drilled or slotted rotors. Otherwise they're just for looks and will wear your pads faster. This is why I've always stuck with blanks, even for autocrossing.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They wouldn't really help for off-roading, either. You want to use your engine to keep your speed down. I hardly ever use my brakes, off-road. The only time I think they might help is for towing a trailer that doesn't have it's own brakes.

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought, but I haven't done much off-roading in my A4 so I couldn't comment. :)

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I would! But, I took a front wheel drive 2000 Chevy Metro out in sand. I'll 'wheel just about anything. :D

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awe man! you never taken an Audi Quatro off road?
How about a VW Syncro?
**** loads of fun. Quatros are after all "The" All wheel drive cars by which all others are judged by.

My car sits a little low and the suspension is a little too stiff for any off-roading. It's built for taking turns on pavement. ;)

a4dp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome toy! People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them my dream car is an original Mini.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I upgraded my rotors to Drilled, Slotted
I am very happy with the performance specially on summer.

I've heard a rumor that those slotted disc brake rotors are designed for racing cars not offroad or street vehicles. Though they would operate cooler than stock discs they would likely wear the pads down quicker.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, slotted rotors should wear pads more quickly. It's a tradeoff - better braking costs more money ;)

welby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the cheap crossdrilled rotors the holes aren't chamfered and yes they do wear pads much faster as a trade-off for better gas dissipation. A good quality Carbon based or composite pad (EBC pads) and a good quality solid vented rotor is more than enough.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
solid vented rotor
Ummmmmmmm??????????

I run the PowerSlot rotors and Napa ceramic pads,have had them in since 28,000 miles(have 57,000 miles now) and the pads look brand new,and not a speck of rust on the rotors.Granted my brakes still suck,better then the OEM rotors and pads though.I'm just to darn heavy for the stock size brakes(drums in the rear,at least I have a really good parking brake:D ).

Good sloted or cross drilled rotors will not wear faster or wear the pads faster,it's more on how you drive.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slotted rotors will collect debri (gravel - stones etc) off road. Solid ones are better for a Jeep I think unless you were never planning to take it off road. For a car it would be different. Just my thoughts on it.

I have disks all around and never had a problem with the OEM ones - even towing. But I always ride the gas and not the brake..hehe

Dave