Disable Airbags 03 KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Connor 1777

Reaction score
I'm waiting on parts for the safety recall on the ORC Module (spontaneous deployment of airbags) and in the meantime want to disable them completely for peace of mind. Anyone know how? I'm guessing to pull a fuse, but not sure which one or if that's all that needs to be done. Thanks!

Connor 1777

Reaction score
I feel like I would rather have them randomly break my nose than to get in a wreck and not have them.
I'm going on a trip down south this week, and at high speeds, a deployment could result in a major crash. I'd rather not have them

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the KK there are fuses for the airbag modules that could be pulled (with the Jeep off of course). Check the KJ owners manual. I am sure they are not the same fuses as in my KK since the fuse box is different.

Connor 1777

Reaction score
In the KK there are fuses for the airbag modules that could be pulled (with the Jeep off of course). Check the KJ owners manual. I am sure they are not the same fuses as in my KK since the fuse box is different.
From what I can tell, the airbag fuses do more than just airbags, hence I need some exact advice. Also not sure if pulling the fuses will be sufficient, whether there is some other way they may still deploy

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could unplug the airbags directly for the most assurance they wouldn’t deploy. Watch a clockspring replacement video for how to do it on the steering wheel. The passengers side access could be shown in a heater core dash disassembly video. I don’t think the KJ has side curtain airbags like the KK does; someone correct me if it has them. Just be sure to unhook your battery at least 30 minutes before doing anything so the airbag capacitors are empty and there are no surprises.

Connor 1777

Reaction score
You could unplug the airbags directly for the most assurance they wouldn’t deploy. Watch a clockspring replacement video for how to do it on the steering wheel. The passengers side access could be shown in a heater core dash disassembly video. I don’t think the KJ has side curtain airbags like the KK does; someone correct me if it has them. Just be sure to unhook your battery at least 30 minutes before doing anything so the airbag capacitors are empty and there are no surprises.
I'll look into that, thanks

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t heard of this happening to any Liberty owners and I’ve been on the forums for 10 years.

A few years ago the new Chevy Colorados were having offroad side airbag deployment issues when the vehicle got to a particular tilt angle. I wonder if GM figured out how to fix that.

Connor 1777

Reaction score

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I know it's an anecdote, but I had the recall done and now my airbag light is stuck on. Not sure if that means they won't fire when I need them to, which is probably worse than having one fire off out of no where.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also never heard of any spontaneous deployments either.
There are complaints online regarding air bags not deploying though.
Wondering if you have "Takata" air bags? https://www.jeep.com.au/takata-airbag-recall.html
Effected owners are generally notified by mail in form of a re-call for all brands.
https://www.fcai.com.au/is-my-airbag-safe
According to the recall(s), excessive electrical noise may cause the airbag ECM to deploy the airbags.

A component in the air bag control module may fail causing the front airbags, side curtain airbags, and/or seatbelt pretensioners to deploy inadvertently while the vehicle is being operated.

Due to electrical noise beyond the tolerance of the air bag electronic control module (ECM), a component in the ECM may fail, causing the front air bags, side air bags, and/or seatbelt pretensioners to deploy inadvertently while the vehicle is being operated.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This family Jeep took two direct lightning strikes & no mention of air bag deployment! ;)
Hit the left door handle and exited out the right side tire/s?
Notice after the strikes, all the lights went out- permanently. :eek:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to chime in since I forgot the numbers and literally looked it up earlier today. 300 million volts, 30 thousand amps (9 trillion watts!) per average lightning strike, absolutely incredible.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Based upon the heat of a lightning flash over on the glass, this could have had a different outcome, if windows were down even slightly.
Lightning can also cause glass to shatter. Keep your windows closed in storm events.
Interestingly enough, the video was actually captured by a storm chaser, who rendered comforting assistance & stayed with them.
Link: https://www.ladbible.com/now/intere...tning-strikes-very-close-to-his-home-20170906
Could the battery case melt & then cause a fire after an incident like this ? ;) Would like to see an under-hood photo!!
Suddenly I like Jeeps even more ! Link: https://www.thedrive.com/news/41640/lightning-strike-melted-this-ford-super-dutys-interior

Reactions: JRB

Latest posts

Members online