Dino vs Synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ

Reaction score
48 K on 2004 Liberty. thinking about switching to Mobil 1.
I've used Havoline for my last 4 cars and have had no trouble at all.
Currently using Havoline 5/30 in Liberty changing 4 K or less.
Having worked at auto dealership I can get Mobil 1 for less than $6 per quart.
Is it worth having synthetic based on price difference?
Put synthetic in both diffys and no noticeable difference.
If worthwhile, what difficulty in change over (flush of old dino etc.)?
Any experience out there?
thanks
AJ

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If youre just he regular driver that never uses his liberty to the extreme then you probably wouldnt need syn. If you go offroad in alot high heat, tow alot, or are just overly ******* the drivetrain then syn will be good for you.

You can get mobil one cheaper at walmart. I get the 5quart jug for $20-$21. You do the math. :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using synthetic blends in the past, but I've started the Liberty out on Mobil 1. I followed Jeepster's advice and got the 5 quart deal at Walmart. I plan on changing it every 5k miles.

I didn't plan it for this reason, but the cost actually is less using synthetic as I am going to extend the interval a bit.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah...Mobil 1 ftw. Sometimes wal-mart evne has the 5-quart jugs on sale for like $18. It's ridiculous...i did my last oil change on the jeep for like $23 after tax. On top of it most peopel will agree aht running 5-6k miles on a synthetic blend is no big deal and under "normal" drivng conditions mobil 1 syntehtic *should* last you roughly 8-10k miles. I'm paranoid though and change mine at 5k.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am the same Indie - I figure 5k is safe. My friend just does his every 6 months and doesn't care about the milage. I don't really feel comfortable doing that. 5k seems OK to me.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah the other great thing about Synthetic oil is it doesn't go up in price when oil hit $100/barrel :p

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
AJ....I wouldn't worry about switching from dino to full syn. It will mix. They sell the "blends" so it must be ok.

I have been using Mobil 1 and also have also used Pennzoil. Both full syn in 5w30. Like Jeepster said, wallmart does have the Mobil 1 in the 5 quart jugs cheaper than other places.

Dave

indianrefining

Full Access Member
Reaction score
48 K on 2004 Liberty. thinking about switching to Mobil 1.
I've used Havoline for my last 4 cars and have had no trouble at all.
Currently using Havoline 5/30 in Liberty changing 4 K or less.
Having worked at auto dealership I can get Mobil 1 for less than $6 per quart.
Is it worth having synthetic based on price difference?
Put synthetic in both diffys and no noticeable difference.
If worthwhile, what difficulty in change over (flush of old dino etc.)?
Any experience out there?
thanks
AJ

You're not going to do any better than good old HAVOLINE.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cuz no one mentioned this yet, mobile 1 synthetic, IS DINO. very few companies actualy use syn that is truly syn. thanks to castrol back in the late 80s oil makers can now call dyno full syn if they refine and crack the molecules to a more uniform size.

amsoil, redline, elf, motuel, and a limited few others make true synthetic (not derrived from dino) convienently,

no true dino oil can be found at the local oil place, must be ordered or found at specialty shop.

ive run amsoil and elf so far and much prefer elf

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'm a big Mobil 1 fan. I usually run 10W30 in the summer months, and 5W30 in the winter months. Made the switch back well before 20K and haven't looked back since.

I also change the oil in several of my friends/co-workers vehicles and have switched them over to Mobil 1 as well. And what Blake said, wally world is the cheapest (that i've found) to get it. They just did a roll back on the price of the 5 quart jugs...now they're $19 and some change :)

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 isn't necessarily full synthetic. It all depends which Mobil 1 and which viscosity. It is however ignorant (no offense meant) to call it dino. but even then provided you use a good filter and change it frequently enough, dino can give excellent results. I'm planing on using Castrol GTX until my Jeep hits 24k because it actually gives better used oil analysis than Mobil 1.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
This forum is to oil what www.jeepkj.com and www.lostkjs.com are to jeeps. The made in germany 0w-30 Castrol syntec sold at auto zone is a full synthetic and is better than most varieties of Mobil 1.

JimKJSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course what is good for a gas KJ and what is good for a CRD is a whole 'nother ball game. One could use a diesel rated oil in a gasoline engine. A gasoline oil doesn't always meet diesel specs however so what results one has with a diesel is irrelevant to a gasoline KJ

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mobile i think was the company that sued castrol for pawning off dino as synthetic, bak in the late 80s, when castrol won, the definition of what would be labeled synthetic was changed, most major oil companies followed suit, and sold highly refined dino as full synthetic. from what i believe mobile did too, tho i could be wrong.... regardless of if mobile was a part of this, the oil business did have this event happen from what i think i know.

btw im offended by your tone i dont feel very welcome in this thread. is there another way u could express your disbelief mor respectfully? sorry if im sensitive about this but i am, i dont think that tone makes for a good discussion or debate.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this is very interesting. Not sure why it matters whether the oil is "dino" or "truly synthetic", what matters is does it improve my mileage, help my engine run cooler, better, longer, etc. Synthesized hydrocarbons vs. naturally occurring and extremely refined ones isn't really something that keeps me awake at night. I'm personally more concerned with viscosity indexes, pressure/temperature degradation characteristics, detergent contents, and the overall performance of my engine.

Has anyone noticed a significant performance increase when switching brands/viscosities, or cleaner oil after a certain interval? Let us know, that's useful information.

(incidentally I'm trying out Mobil 1 10W30 "full synthetic" on my next oil change. Currently using a Castrol blend with no problems.)

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a significant performance increase when switching brands/viscosities, or cleaner oil after a certain interval? Let us know, that's useful information.

Yes. First run or so with Mobil, I noticed that it got really dirty, really fast (breaking down any crap that was inside the engine). After that, it stays cleaner much longer than regular oil. While I still change it every 3K, I know many people do 5K changes with Mobil 1, and personally, I wouldn't be worried if I had to go to 5K on an oil change.

And I swear I do get slightly better mpg with it. Not to mention a smoother running engine

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this is very interesting. Not sure why it matters whether the oil is "dino" or "truly synthetic", what matters is does it improve my mileage, help my engine run cooler, better, longer, etc. Synthesized hydrocarbons vs. naturally occurring and extremely refined ones isn't really something that keeps me awake at night. I'm personally more concerned with viscosity indexes, pressure/temperature degradation characteristics, detergent contents, and the overall performance of my engine.

(incidentally I'm trying out Mobil 1 10W30 "full synthetic" on my next oil change. Currently using a Castrol blend with no problems.)

omg thankyou!! some one just shoot me so ill stop posting in here.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My original intent was that i thought it would help add to the discussion of the original post to make note of the differences between group III and IV oils, thinking it was rather common knowledge...

But im sticking to my guns on this and ill insist in making my point, but with all due respect, i am not intending to slam, slander, or otherwise criticize anyone for what they know or dont here... Ive done much reading on this and wanted to share somthing i learned is all. I may have missed somthing in my reading but here is an article that sums up nicely what ive been trying to communicate....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

"Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Mobil, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005 production of GTL (Gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began. The best of these perform much like polyalphaolefin. Group III base stocks are considered synthetic motor oil in North America.[4][5] "

So better stated, since we ARE in North America... Mobil is not a Group IV synthetic, but rather a group III synthetic, asuming they switched from group IV (1974) to current group III... Implied by said article of reference... group III as stated in said article, is derived from mineral oil stock (aka Dino).

LOL oil discussions!!!! =P

Latest posts

Members online