*DING!* Oil change!! *DING!* Oil change!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

talleybird_kk

Reaction score
How the (censored) do I reset the oil change idiot scroll?? Yes, the oil was changed...STOP TELLING ME ALREADY!!

(banghead)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Turn Jeep on, but do not start.

Slowly depress and release gas pedal 3 times within 10 seconds.

It should go off. Do this with each oil change.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I thought you only did that with the chevy trailblazers....and the wks i thought you used the evic....the kk doesnt have that? 05 wk you just went in a reset it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I thought you only did that with the chevy trailblazers....and the wks i thought you used the evic....the kk doesnt have that? 05 wk you just went in a reset it.
The computer monitors everything itself according to driving habits. I personally have never seen mine because I've always gotten it changed beforehand.... so apparently I don't NEED to change my oil as often as I do... according to the Jeep itself.

This system is new starting with '08+ models. But you're right about before...

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Ok,
TBJ no with trailblazers you turned the key on and then hit the brake 3 times and it reset the oil thing...but in the 05-07(guessing) you can change it..You can have it to tell you to change the oil 2500-6000 and when you changed the oil to the what # you choose you just go in a reset it that way...but how do you do the KK??

talleybird_kk

Reaction score
I changed it before it was due, and probably 200 miles later, the idiot scroll started....I'll try the accelerator thing tomorrow....is there a way you can set it to alert at a certain number of miles? (Did that make sense?)

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The system on the KK is not a simple reminder based on mileage. It is based on driving habits. It takes everything into account and uses an algorithm to basically tell you when your engine oil is worn out. It is not adjustable. It is a set program.

I have had my 2008 KK for 10 months now, and only have 4,200 miles on it. I have changed the engine oil twice now. My monitor goes off about every 5 months, after about 2000 miles. I change the oil and reset the light.

I use K&N Gold oil filters and Castrol Synthetic 5w20. Is changing it every 5 months, 2,000 miles a little extreme? Not really. I make a lot of really short trips, 3-5 miles one way. Based on how I drive, this is when the monitor comes on. I do it because I'm a maintenance freak. Always have been.:D

As stated, to reset the monitor, turn the key to the run position, engine off of course, and fully depress the gas pedal 3 times in 10 seconds.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idaho08kk, why do you use the 5w20 instead of the 5w30?

talleybird_kk

Reaction score
My driving habits are probably the complete opposite of yours....at least one day a week I drive 60 miles one way to one of my offices....the others are realtively close (15-25 miles)....had no idea how smart the Libbey was! I do, also, make a 1400K round trip to Tennessee about twice a year....I've got about 30K on her now....Now that the engine on my beater car has blown....:(.....I'm sure I'll put more on her. I'll try the reset tomorrow....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,
TBJ no with trailblazers you turned the key on and then hit the brake 3 times and it reset the oil thing...but in the 05-07(guessing) you can change it..You can have it to tell you to change the oil 2500-6000 and when you changed the oil to the what # you choose you just go in a reset it that way...but how do you do the KK??
Actually it depends on the what stereo system you have in the newer GM vehicles,some you pump the gas 3 times and others you have to go threw the radio.The brand new ones don't use either,you have to use a menu button on the dash to reset the idiot light.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually it depends on the what stereo system you have in the newer GM vehicles,some you pump the gas 3 times and others you have to go threw the radio.The brand new ones don't use either,you have to use a menu button on the dash to reset the idiot light.

Are you referring to the newer GM vehicles with the DIC system? They work pretty good. They have a "oil life monitering system" built in and menu buttons.

Dave

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idaho08kk, why do you use the 5w20 instead of the 5w30?

The owner's manual states to use 5w20 for all temperature ranges.

All of the new Chrysler stuff runs 5w20, with the exception of most of the SRT lineup, which runs 0w40 synthetic, the 3.5L uses 10w30, and diesels run 15w40.

5w20 replaced 5w30.

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I use the 5w20 just because of the lifetime powertrain warranty. I don't want to give Chrysler any reason to void it. 5w30 is just fine and won't hurt a thing.

It is lifted and modified, but I do all of my own warranty work on my KK anyways, so anything is warranty with a stroke of my pen.:D

With the lifetime powertrain warranty though (and all other warranties), Chrysler has started demanding all maintenance records for large repairs like engines, trannys, diffs, etc. I have to have proper maintenance records to fax to my district manager even though I'm a CDJ tech, and do all of my own work anyways. If I can't provide records, or use the wrong fluids, they can deny the claim and even void the lifetime powertrain warranty.

I posted some of the crap that Chrysler told us in a mandatory class that I had to attend about three months ago in regards to their new "policies". If interested read it here-
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44169

Also, in regards to the 5w20/5w30 deal, in Europe, they don't use 5w20 at all. All of the same Chrysler vehicles over there run 5w30. Like I said, either is fine, but I stick to the manual religiously because of Chrysler going on a rampage voiding people's warranty's for the most petty reasons because they are broke and have no money to pay for repairs, so they look for any and every reason to not pay.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I use the 5w20 just because of the lifetime powertrain warranty. I don't want to give Chrysler any reason to void it. 5w30 is just fine and won't hurt a thing.

It is lifted and modified, but I do all of my own warranty work on my KK anyways, so anything is warranty with a stroke of my pen.:D

With the lifetime powertrain warranty though (and all other warranties), Chrysler has started demanding all maintenance records for large repairs like engines, trannys, diffs, etc. I have to have proper maintenance records to fax to my district manager even though I'm a CDJ tech, and do all of my own work anyways. If I can't provide records, or use the wrong fluids, they can deny the claim and even void the lifetime powertrain warranty.

I posted some of the crap that Chrysler told us in a mandatory class that I had to attend about three months ago in regards to their new "policies". If interested read it here-
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44169

Also, in regards to the 5w20/5w30 deal, in Europe, they don't use 5w20 at all. All of the same Chrysler vehicles over there run 5w30. Like I said, either is fine, but I stick to the manual religiously because of Chrysler going on a rampage voiding people's warranty's for the most petty reasons because they are broke and have no money to pay for repairs, so they look for any and every reason to not pay.
Your not going to void your warranty by using 5w-30 since it is printed in your owners manual that you can use it in the same temperature range that 5w-20 is.Trust me as long as the manual states you can use it they can not deny coverage using 5w-30.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie only feeds his 3.7 the finest 90/140 synthetic that money can buy.

This engine works hard. And it plays hard, too.
You must be registered for see images attach