Differential Fluid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but can someone post a pic or manual link for changing diff fluid. I looked underneath and couldn't determine where the drain was and the fill was. Rather than going nuts over it, I thought I'd ask. ;)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but can someone post a pic or manual link for changing diff fluid. I looked underneath and couldn't determine where the drain was and the fill was. Rather than going nuts over it, I thought I'd ask. ;)

Are you talking the rear diff? Easy peasy. The plug (if you're so inclined) is just a rubber fill cap on the diff cover (rear) about 1/2 way up the cover housing. If your diff is clean, it's easy to see.

For front diff, cover removal is impossible without a small army ASE certified mechanics and machines that go *PING!*. So use drain plug near bottom.

But for rear diff:

The quick and easy way is to get a fluid pump, stick a hose into that filler hole, pump out the fluid, and then pump the new fluid back in. However, doing a full diff cover removal isn't that hard, and that's coming from someone who doesn't do a lot of wrench turning.

1. Put a drain pan underneath diff.
2. Slowly loosen all the bolts, then pry off from the bottom, letting all the fluid drain into pan.
3. Clean off any old gasket material being careful not to gouge the housing around diff and diff cover.
4. Take this opportunity to clean the diff housing and cover inside and out, and inspect for obvious damage-- chipped teeth or large amount of metal filings at bottom of pumpkin.
5. Put on new gasket (highly recommended, although you can just use a bead of RTV if you can't find or buy a gasket), and cover gasket with thin bead of RTV.
6. Place diff cover back on, torque bolts down to 30ft lbs (check service manual for tightening patterns and verify torque specs)
7. Fill with fluid through drain plug.
8. Clean everything up so the diff looks like new, watch closely for leaks over the next week or so.

Note plug 1/2 way up toward right side:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the insides of the diff and cover with what? Paper towel clean it or is there a special cleaning product you have to use?

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I thought that was the filler. So the reason I found no drain is because they intend the plate to come off? Easy enough. Im not too concerned about the front at this point. The back I wanted to switch to 75/140 for trailering. Ill just grab a gasket and do it over the weekend then. :)

Idaho08KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the insides of the diff and cover with what? Paper towel clean it or is there a special cleaning product you have to use?

I always use brake cleaner to clean diffs. That is pretty much standard practice.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The front is much harder to do, the suspension bolts to it; that's why there is a fill and drain plug. You can clean the front diff with Kerosene, or a spray can of something like SeaFoam, and stuff. That way, you can get a lot of the gunk and metal filings out. Then, replace the drain plug, ans fill-er up. The rear diff, yeah, to drain and clean you remove the cover. They made that pretty easy.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I actually used something like Engine Brite degreaser, then wiped it all off really well. But brake cleaner will do just fine as well.

And actually, the inside should be pretty clean, it's mainly the edges and the outside from road grim that will require the most work.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can use paper towels to clean the diff cover and the bottom of the diff.

If youre using a gasket, make 100% sure all of the old RTV is off BOTH the cover and the diff. Personally I love using gaskets but some stick with RTV.

Ive never used anything besides towels/rags to clean the cover. Make sure you wipe the magnet off! :)

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did mine today, didnt paint it though. Really a nice thing for a saturday afternoon. After seeing that, I just might paint mine too :)