Difference between Lifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
It might be a simple question but I am confused with all these different lift kits. What is the difference between the Strut Spacer lift kit and Suspension Kit? Are there any other kind of lifts out there?

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A spacer kit gives you these polyurethane "pucks", or big round pieces of poly that you put between your springs (rear) and struts (front) and the surfaces where those items normally mount. This in turn raises the height of the vehicle by spacing the distance between the vehicle itself and the axle components.

The full suspension kits replace the actual springs (and various other components) with taller and usually better riding springs that are a bit longer. Their extended length in itself raises the height of the vehicle.

The full suspension kits cost more, but usually are a more complete and better engineered way to lift a vehicle if you plan on running hard off road (or off road at all).

Some spacer lifts change a Liberty's front axle/suspension angles in such a way that they cannot operate as designed, which can lead to premature wear and failure of various components. Other spacer kits are designed differently and will work for most people who drive 90% street, 10% mild off road. Daystar seems to be a favorite poly spacer kit, along with something called the "combo" kit from Rocky Road Outfitters. Here are links for you to look over and consider...

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/jeep_Liberty.htm

http://www.rocky-road.com/kjsus.html

http://www.boulderbars.com/frankenlift.htm

I just bought my Liberty two weeks ago and have been searching this forum and many others seeking past experience and advice on all the different lifts out there. Personally, I am planning the "combo" lift from Rocky Road because I don't plan to use my KJ off road much and it's cheap (and I'm cheap).

Good luck with your decision.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OTT strut spacer:

You must be registered for see images attach

longer coils/struts:

You must be registered for see images attach

Cost difference for the better kit is only about $150 by the time you buy shocks (RRO's kits don't include them). And should you have the type of contact that you see in that top pic (ball joint vs spring) the cost will be a LOT higher.

Also, RRO has owed me money for parts they couldn't deliver for almost 4 months, now. Every time I call about it, I just get run-around, ignored and/or attitude. Just FYI.

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much, guys!
on the top picture above where exactly is that spacer lift, i dont seem to find it and I don't see any difference between the pictures except for the new parts on the bottom one.
Thanks again

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much, guys!
on the top picture above where exactly is that spacer lift, i dont seem to find it and I don't see any difference between the pictures except for the new parts on the bottom one.
Thanks again

The spacer is on top of the strut or a poly spacer under the coil.

Look closely at the top pic. and you will see the upper ball joint makiing contact with the spring, this is called a strut spacer or OTT, and you want to avoid this type.

The lower pic shows a Rusty's coil lift with no contact to the upper ball joint.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's RRO's 2.5" Budget lift (OTT strut spacer). Basically, just a big chunk of steel that sits on top of your struts and makes them go bad quickly. And you have to knock two bolts out of the top plate of the struts. They get replaced by the bolts in the spacer but, it just doesn't seem like it'd be as strong, imo.

KJ2005

Reaction score
lift kits

So, basically the spacer kits using polyurthen parts are cheaper but in the long run will wear out thestock suspension and the more full kits such as skyjacker and frankenlift that replace the coils are a better option?

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the poly spacers. The one I used in that top pic above is a steel spacer, which WILL wear out your suspension faster. I wound up replacing the struts with OME's (part of Rusty's kit) and they are much better than the stock ones. Along with the stiffer springs, the ride is greatly improved. Not enough miles to tell if any of it will last longer but, it seems to be holding up pretty well considering how I abuse it.