Diff noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwantas

Reaction score
When I drive in standard 2 wheel drive, no noise. As soon as I put it 4WD high, I get a real nasty whining noise from the front that sounds like a solid diff that is packing up. Any thoughts on this ?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I drive in standard 2 wheel drive, no noise. As soon as I put it 4WD high, I get a real nasty whining noise from the front that sounds like a solid diff that is packing up. Any thoughts on this ?

I hope that you are only engaging 4WD high (or Low) for short distances only on VERY loose sand or very wet mud. Our 2002 2.5 Sport models (I also have one)
has the 4X4 system without a central differential so you can only use 4X4 on loose conditions as described above for short distance at max 80km/h or you will instantly break something as... without a central diff....the front and rear wheels cannot compensate for variances in speed from front to rear wheels.
Read your Owners manual (in glove box) for more information...if you have engaged 4X4 on a firm surface then you have probably broken something by now:disgust:

Gwantas

Reaction score
I hope that you are only engaging 4WD high (or Low) for short distances only on VERY loose sand or very wet mud. Our 2002 2.5 Sport models (I also have one)
has the 4X4 system without a central differential so you can only use 4X4 on loose conditions as described above for short distance at max 80km/h or you will instantly break something as... without a central diff....the front and rear wheels cannot compensate for variances in speed from front to rear wheels.
Read your Owners manual (in glove box) for more information...if you have engaged 4X4 on a firm surface then you have probably broken something by now:disgust:

I engage 4x4 only on gravel roads. I think it is a bit safer than 2wd. I must say though I have gone up to 100 km/h.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the gravel roads we get in SA are generally not loose enough to drive our 2.5 Sport models, with the "Command Trac" option, without damaging something. The only time I have used 4 Hi on my Sport was on extremely wet, muddy sand roads in Kruger Park...my Jeep was sliding all over the place until I engaged 4 HI and drove at the prescribed legal limit of 40 km/h....as soon as the roads dried up a bit I went back to 2 wheel drive.
Maybe some other members here an offer their opinions on when it is safe to engage 4 Hi or 4 Lo using the "Command Trac" system?