diff fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my rear diff fluid...well almost. im not sure if i can refil it as soon as i put everything back together or should i let the rtv dry? also how soon till i can drive? Also took some pics for a quick how-to.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my rear diff fluid...well almost. im not sure if i can refil it as soon as i put everything back together or should i let the rtv dry? also how soon till i can drive? Also took some pics for a quick how-to.
Best to let the RTV sit for at least 45-60 min before adding the gear oil.Safe to drive after that time also.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Hope you got as much of the old RTV scraped off the back of the cover and the front of the diff as possible.....doesn't take much for the RTV to not seal up good, then you'll have a slow leak.

Ask me how I know....:rolleyes:

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here it is

First select a beverage of choice:
You must be registered for see images attach

Then jack the liberty up a little to give you more space.
Remove the rubber plug and start removing bolts. I suggest removing them all except for the very top one. Just loosen that one so the cover wont fall.

Remove the last bolt and pry the cover off allowing all the "juice" to drain.

While the fluid is draining clean the cover and the diff nicely with brake parts cleaner so its nice and clean.

make a new gasket using RTV silicone and let sit for about 15 minutes.

Install the cover back on the diff and let sit for 45 minutes while you go refill on the beverage of choice. Here comes the tricky part. You will need this special tool ro refill the diff. (I sell them for $150 or if you buy 3 or more $125a piece)

Fill the differential until it overflows and reinstall the plug.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh yeah i did not actually use ATF. Just an empty bottle i used since it was more convenient than the 1gallon one :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to say! ATF in the rear diff?!

I hope you meant $1.25 a piece.

I bought a pump at walmart for a lower unit on a boat engine. Works out great for pumping oil into the diff's and tcase.

t2raz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he will use it for pumping beer. :D
Nice procedure chiro. Very informative for me atleast. :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chiro....very nice write up and pic's. I was thinking about getting a lubelocker gasket to try when I do mine. Havn't decided yet..

Blake...have been using lower unit gear lube pumps to fill diffs and t-cases for years. It is so much easier and faster (for me anyway). I might have even suggested it on here before.....hehe

Dave

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah a pump would be nice but with the cover off i souldnt really go pick one up so i improvised....worked well enough...haha

2003KJ

Reaction score
How do you know? ;)

how do you know???...............:D

Dave

How do you know tim? :)

Everybody's a damn comedian.....:rolleyes::D

Anyways, when I changed mine out roughly 25K ago, it didn't quite seal back up as well as I had hoped, and now has a slow leak. Bottom of the differential stays oily/dirty from every day driving, and when it sits for more than a couple of days there is usually a drop or two of gear oil on the ground. No biggie though...i'll just make sure it seals up nice and good next time around.

As for the pump, I didn't need one. I just worked the tip of the bottle into the hole, in combination right the right words and facial expressions and had no problems filling it up.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard of some people clean the inside of the differential with brake cleaner. Is that a good idea/safe to do??
Yes it's safe.I do it all the time,have for over 15 years.Gets all the old stuff out so you can really see how the gears look.Though not a good idea to do in the front diff since you don't remove the cover,use only for the rear when the cover is off.

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question.......

Did you refill you diff with the suspension extended or compressed?

I filled mine with the suspension extended but I noticed it took less than the 2.08L. I put the jack under the diff and compressed the suspension (to it's normal driving height) and I was able add the required level, which is 1/2" below the fill hole.

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was extended when i filled it....but i will check the level tomorrow atain with it compressed just to make sure

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats good oil to be putting in the front and rear diffs? can I use the same one that goes in the transfer case? is Draining the front the same as the back?