Did I read this right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a recent thread where it was stated that you cannot siphon gas out of a KJ tank?

Is this true?

I've been thinking abut putting a locking cap on it because I hear about other folks getting "sucked" but if no one can do it, why should I?

Thanks...

tbaldridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's interesting...if they want it bad enough, they will find a way to get it! such as drilling a whole in the tank and letting the goods pour into a can...
sad times we live in where people have to steal fuel!!!

Reaction score
their drilling now. lucky we have gas tank skids to help deter them. theres a thing in the gas tank tube that prevents gas from spilling out during accidents and roll overs

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a locking gas cap that I got when the KJ was new. I think it is just a minor deterant though.

Yea, I heard the perps are drilling holes in gas tanks now. As far as I know, you can't get a hose down into the gas tank but I never tried it.

Dave

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a locking gas cap that I got when the KJ was new. I think it is just a minor deterant though.

Yea, I heard the perps are drilling holes in gas tanks now. As far as I know, you can't get a hose down into the gas tank but I never tried it.

Dave
It is true that you cannot get a hose down the filler tube (at least not easily). As Matt mentioned there are some parts installed in the filler to make it pretty much a one-way trip for the fuel. And I think this weekend might be a good time to put that gas tank skid on :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If they're drilling now...

:( Because the KJ's tank is... right there, extremely susceptible to theft. :(

Almost makes you want to keep your tank as empty as possible with many requests each day of $5 on pump 2 just to keep yourself from being victim of a $60 loss.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
You haven't been able to syphon gas out of cars since mid 80's. At the base of the filler neck, there's a screen that blocks the hose from entering the gas tank.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unless your gas tank cap is behind the license plate, which flips down, then I dont think many will be siphoning out of the tank. :D

but when someone wants something, they go to extreme measures. my disco was broken into a few weeks ago, what a ******

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, can't siphon. It could still help from vandalism. Can't put anything else in with a locking cap either ;-).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you could do to prevent it if someone is real determined enough. I have a OEM skid on and the corners are open for drainage so if you had a longer drill bit you could still drill it. It would splatter all over probably though. But without a skid it would be real easy. I would imagine the perps would pick on an suv or p/u truck as it would be easier and faster (speed is everything to a theif) than messing with a KJ with a gas tank skid. And cars are too low to the ground and more difficult I think. I can't even get my floor jack under the cutlass. It is just too low to the ground. So I really think that leaves the p/u and suv's and jeeps with no skids which you can get under real easy. They would make the easiest targets I think.

Dave

Last edited:

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they want it they'll take it,if they cant syphon or drill they will pull a fuel line ,or the filler neck tube,happens over here a lot. Oh and how come this site is allowing snake oil advertisments on it? "Double any vehicles MPG secret technology they want to ban!"Give me a break.

Jeep dawg

Reaction score
My fix for this new trend of drilling holes in the taks is simple.

Never put more than 2 gallons at a time. LOL
this way you will not loose a ton of money

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to stop and get gas everyday.

The gas tank skid would probably help lead them away but like dave said, the corners are open. They would probably loose half of their gas but whatever they get will make them happy.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
If the price of gas keeps hurtling upwards, then this trend of stealing gas will only get worse.

You could always leave a gas can out on the porch, filled with gas, and a styrofoam cup or two dissolved in the gas....then see who loses an engine.:p

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just everyone get a Kilby gas tank skid, I want to see them laying there drilling through it !!!!!!!!!!

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they want it they'll take it,if they cant syphon or drill they will pull a fuel line ,or the filler neck tube,happens over here a lot. Oh and how come this site is allowing snake oil advertisments on it? "Double any vehicles MPG secret technology they want to ban!"Give me a break.

I used a gift card at a local auto parts store to get a locking cap. I now don't use it and have gone back to the stock cap. IMO they're not worth the hassle.

Like the above quote says "If they want it they'll take it". Pulling/splicing a fuel line is likely the easiest way. There isn't much you can do to stop that.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strap the below under your KJ........
You must be registered for see images

........with a ubber sensitive alarm trigger:D!!!!!!!!!

Going Mad Max on them there gas thieves laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

chirokj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mount a gas can on the back of your libby with some gas and a pound of sugar mixed in.....