Did I get taken?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lori Meyer

Reaction score
We bought a 2011 Jeep Liberty Jet 2 weeks ago, runs like new but there was no heat. The blower works, just cold air. We went to CA - 12 hours round trip and no issues at all.

The engine light came on yesterday so we brought it to a local mechanic who said right off the bat that it needed a new thermostat and radiator. He said there was no water running through the radiator although we drove for 12 hours with no problems.

Today he said it also needs a new water pump. $792 later I feel like I was rooked. Did I need all those things?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you asking if you got taken by the mechanic, or by the person you bought the Jeep from? If the mechanic used quality parts, and they were indeed in need of replacing, then the charge seems fairly fair. We can't speak for the integrity of the mechanic though. Always asking to see your old bad parts is a good idea, as long you know what the heck you're looking at.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda too late now if you did, isn't it?

Considering parts costs and labor, the repair costs don't seem unreasonable.

As for the seller, I suppose it depends on how it was presented to you. If they said, no heat, but it doesn't need anything, just a blah blah blah and it's fine... that's false. If they told you it had no heat, don't know why.. haven't checked it out but it seems to run and drive fine...

Well, at that point you assume whatever issues the vehicle has and they are now yours. If you did OK on the purchase price of the vehicle, and now after all the work you have heat, and everything is copacetic, I'd be happy that you got it fixed before it overheated or destroyed the engine; drive on and keep it maintained!

TL;DR: Probably not, depending on if it was sold with the intention of hiding a known problem. Probably not, assuming it actually needed the parts and repairs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard this so many times over the years
IF you think you got taken to the cleaners you will always think that no matter what happens or what others say.
If you think you got a great deal, well you did , even though you may have paid 1000 more then your neighbor. But in your mind you did so all is well

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this all begs the next question: Is it fixed now?

Lori Meyer

Reaction score
Was feeling great about the new radiator/water pump....even took the Jeep 6 hours to CA 5 days ago. The next morning it wouldn't start. Had it towed to the Jeep dealer who said the problem was something with the computer/security and gave it a tune up.

He took it for a test drive and said it ran rough. He called back and said it needed a new head gasket because it was warped. He asked if it ever overheated and we never had an issue, it drove like new after the new radiator install. How can you drive 6 hours with a bad head gasket? He said it will take 18 hours to fix and we won't get it back till Monday.

$3,800 to fix and we won't make it home for Christmas. Bummed.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was feeling great about the new radiator/water pump....even took the Jeep 6 hours to CA 5 days ago. The next morning it wouldn't start. Had it towed to the Jeep dealer who said the problem was something with the computer/security and gave it a tune up.

He took it for a test drive and said it ran rough. He called back and said it needed a new head gasket because it was warped. He asked if it ever overheated and we never had an issue, it drove like new after the new radiator install. How can you drive 6 hours with a bad head gasket? He said it will take 18 hours to fix and we won't get it back till Monday.

$3,800 to fix and we won't make it home for Christmas. Bummed.

Head gaskets dont warp, they fail to seal.. although the cylinder head itself can warp and that often means resurfacing it, or replacing it. A dealer is going to have higher labor costs to repair than a private shop will, on the other hand, it sounds like you're kinda over a barrel at the moment.

Although I find it difficult to believe that you were able to drive it 6 hours with a blown head gasket or warped head, and not notice ANYTHING. Smoke, overheating, misfiring, rough running, lack of power, steam blowing out somewhere, hard starting, rough idle, etc....

Lori Meyer

Reaction score
We're getting it fixed and I'm gonna drive it till it dies considering how much I have in it now. I really do love it but feeling a bit downtrodden. I just want to get home to NJ by Christmas! :)