Detroit true trac questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i am going to be regearing in a few months and would like to install DTT's in both the front and rear differentials. my question is for anyone who is already running either the same or similar setup.

have you seen any effect on steering performance after installing the True Trac? please explain what setup you have with your answer.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the DTT up front for years before the SFA swap(had a ARB in the rear) and only noticed for about the 1st week the steering wheel would return to center faster but quickly got used to and never noticed it ever again and that was it.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and do tbey require any additive to the diff fluid or should I continue to run regular gear oil?

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a DTT in the front and a Trac Loc in the rear. When I re-geared the shop used synthetic in both diffs and said I wouldn't need the friction modifier for the Trac loc. I was skeptical but they supposedly know their $h!t so I let them do it.
This was about 10K miles ago. No problems that I can tell (I have a whine under acceleration but that's another story i think...), but now i wonder if I should switch back to dino oil when I service the diffs again in a couple thousand miles.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DTT manual that comes with it says premium mineral (regular dino but the good stuff). And NOT to use synthetics in bold though on one page its worded a bit weird.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a DTT in the front and a Trac Loc in the rear. When I re-geared the shop used synthetic in both diffs and said I wouldn't need the friction modifier for the Trac loc. I was skeptical but they supposedly know their $h!t so I let them do it.
This was about 10K miles ago. No problems that I can tell (I have a whine under acceleration but that's another story i think...), but now i wonder if I should switch back to dino oil when I service the diffs again in a couple thousand miles.
Most your "off the shelf" synthetic gear oils already have friction modifier in it so need to add more.