Dead 04

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Week ago I was driving my daughter to school. Jeep died, got it started again, but died almost immediately. Had it towed to a shop on Thursday, found out by last Friday the engine is seized. Not sure what caused this. I check the oil frequently. Had filter and oil changed in March. No puddles of oil under it or clouds of smoke either. Not sure what to do with it now. Not sure if it'd make sense to put a rebuilt or used engine in it. Or if I could even afford that! This couldn't have happened at a worse time. Just started working again in August, and I've put almost $1000 in it since then replacing tires, fixing heater, ect. UGH!

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What "shop" ? Jeep dealer ? Independent? Have they shown you in person that the crank won't rotate?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
X2 check to make sure it is seized~!...
Geez sorry to hear that Jay, terrible time for it to go indeed.
Generally it is either low oil or overheating. I tend to check coolant & my oil level weekly.
You are going to have to make some calls & get estimates.
I know lower mile Kj engine are getting hard to find.
Sometimes a local engine builder may have a rebuilt ready to go, but the price may not be cheap.
A local junk yard is another option, even check you local Craigslist, just some ideas, I wish I could help more.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How could an engine seize up? If oil and coolant is at the right level.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
High mileage, broken internal parts, Oil pump failure, (Oil starvation or low pressure) bearings/clearances, rods, broken/jammed timing chain leading to ? ah worse, just a few that come to mind.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the Jeep?

Have you been changing the oil yourself - even notice metal in the oil?

If you have typical mileage (170k or so) I wouldn't bother with a rebuild. My 2005 only had 85K on it and the replacement engine and install was more than the Jeep was worth and mine has been nothing but trouble since.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.