DavidSKi's 07 KJ Sport 4x4

With a stock KJ wheres the best place to start with upgrade?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im actually going on a 2k trip on friday, and i need to use my rear bumper basket. if/when i get called I will ask them to reimburse me. (got it for 75$ off amazon) or go half-sies with me on a gas skidplate.

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 hours and 5/6 bolts installed to realize the hitch frame was bent 5 degrees and i had to that it down last night. good thing amazon does 1 day shipping on damaged goods. ill try again tomorrow.

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i got the new hitch on, when its not bent it goes on like a breeze. lol
I went ahead and updated all the major bulbs on the car. 4 white and 2 amber in the rear and 2 9007 50% brighter white headlights. Also put LEDs for cargo and map lights. they are BRIGHT! (good thing for me)

Now i am looking to either buy roof rails or fab my own, and get a basket up top.

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, a side note: most bumper baskets wont work for the KJ... either get one with a 24" - 2x arm, or put the spare somewhere else.

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the libby up to mid Michigan last week. Took her twice on the Denton Creek trail, south of Houghton Lake, super elaborate snow mobile trails. Got to crawl up some sand dunes and splash up some mud in the wetland areas. Fun all around.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after exhausting failed attempts to create a roof rack and roof basket system that was itself, under the maximum weight limited of the stock roof rails, i started buying racks online and testing them out. I tried the 2 on amazon that folks say are cheap and sturdy, but they didnt have locks and youd have to rig a system to keep it secure. my 4th roo rails, i stumbled across a ebay seller that is selling steel rack bars that are exact replicas of the 280$ thrule versions. I dont know if they are from the same factory or what, but these thing are pretty badass. the seller is also having a holiday sale. They are normally 105, but are on sale for 70. OFFER 60$$ and say youre from jeepjk.com, and I am 99% sure they will take the bid. (in negotiations, trying to get the forum users a perm deal now)

Cross Bars Crossbars Roof Racks for 2002 2007 Jeep Liberty 2007 2012 Patriot | eBay

the sale looks like its on for another day. after my holiday 1000 mile road trip i will write a true review of the unit.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

davidski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was great! snow all the way sucked for my cargo on top though. =\

So, on further review, I still am impressed with the bars. They are rated at 100 max lbs. I hauled 140lbs in 3 long boxes 18"w 6"t 5' L. i stacked them 2 wide and the smaller heavier box on the top. At about 145lbs and then lord knows how much pressure from the torque of the tie downs, the bars bent slightly. When straps were released at the end of the trip, the bars bent back straight.

Ive never driven with a load on the roof, and i was surprised the loss of mpg. I was getting around 16 on the hwy, when i usually get 24. ever since the trip im now getting 3-4 mpg less. I dont know if its because of the rack, or something else is going on, for instance i had my oil changed the same day i put the rack roof on.

Prof, is that a good roof rack? I am looking at the Curt with the extender. I am guessing you got the extender too?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is the Rage Black Widow w/ 24" extension. Click the link in my sig and you'll find the whole list. I am planning to redo how I have the crossbars on there to drop the bottom of the basket by (hopefully) about 1.5". It's going to have to get a LOT warmer before that happens, though. ;)

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive gotten up to 20 with my KJ minus the roof rack, and topped out at 18 with. I have noticed that it seems like I am driving a wind sock in anything more than normal wind, sometimes it gets fairly difficult to maintain a straight line in a heavy cross wind.

I got my bars off Amazon, they are Ares brand for about 60 shipped. I double check them all the time and seem to be holding up well. I find it strange that the Liberty doesnt come with bars, but with them trying to squeeze every MPG I guess I can see why.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.