Dakota/Durango 4x4 Rear Shocks Fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All. I've been way from the forum for a while, but recently I went offroading with my 2002 KJ and that experience highlighted a few outstanding issues I have... which led me to this. Installing longer rear shocks.

I know that Bilstein and OME makes KJ specific longer shocks, but at 2022's pricing of something around 135/each, I wasn't biting especially since I find Bilsteins to be harsh and OME I've heard mixed reviews. I also happen to love my current Rancho RS5000X shocks. So... with that in mind, I found the Rancho application for a 2000 Dodge Durango 4x4 (RSS5248) and just finished installing. They cost about $56/each and Summit racing had them to me in 12 hours.

Here are the few things to note:

1) Gained at least 2" of rebound travel. Now limiting factor is the upper control arm binding at the bushing mounts.
2) shock mounting/bolt sleeves are the same as KJ application, so no modification necessary - direct bolt-in
3) lower shock mount width is the same as KJ application, no modificaiton necessary - direct bolt-in
4) upper shock bushing width is about 3/16" too narrow to fit perfectly in the KJ's chassis mount. You MAY be able to overtighten the mount to pinch the chassis mount down for a flush fit, but I just installed 3 x 1" fender washers drilled to the correct diameter and fit on the inboard side of the shock. That was the only modification necessary.
5) Durango shock mount bushings are about 25% smaller than the KJ's - might feel more NVH from the rear, but unlikely. I'll update if there's an issue.

I started this thread because I didn't find any conclusive answers on this or any other forum about whether or not Dakota/Durango shocks fit the KJ so I took the plunge.
I hope this helps other folks going forward.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Been installing 99-04 Dodge Dakota 4x4 club cab rear shocks for 10 years or so, basically the same
The Rancho RSX line I loved they were great, but did away with them
The RS line is too weak for me , and a customer tried one set for a month, still laying in my shop since 2 years ago, after we switched over to OME 132Ls
But if you like the ride that is all that matters
I have Bilsteins on the rear of all 3 of my KJs now

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I know Tom, but reading over all the posts from the last 10 years i couldn’t figure out if I would have to replace the sleeve or what. So I posted this as a definitive answer. Hopefully you I’ll get bugged less about this now.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just realized I put the wrong part number, should be RS55248. Eyes blurred the S and 5 together. Sorry folks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online