"cylinder 5 misfire"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beinroc

Reaction score
Bought the '05 Liberty Renegade two weeks ago. engine light came on as detailers were getting gas in it. code pulled was cylinder 5 misfire. dealer did a fuel system cleaning saying there was carbon build-up in cylinder. well, only two days later, light is back on. heard problem could also be plugs and/or wires. anyone have any tips on this as I am going back to the dealer tomorrow because I am getting pissed off real quick. Only 24K on the vehicle.
Love the ride, but wanting this fixed ASAP.

:mad::mad::eek::eek:

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the coil and spark plug. if everything is good just tell them to clear the code and the light should go away. if the light goes away then comes back then u got the same problem i had which was a vacuum or air leak.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Ya can't just "check" the coil and see if it's known good or not.

Take the #5 coil off, and swap it with another coil on the engine. Clear the code, then see if the misfire follows the coil.

beinroc

Reaction score
Thanks guys. problem is I am not doing this myself because I am holding the dealership responsible because they didn't check it before I drove it off the lot so I am not going away until they fix it right. I just want to know what I am in for with this issue. I don't want to have to keep going back and forth to the dealership every freakin' week ya know. If I can go in there with some possibilities, maybe they can use them to troubleshoot a bit more.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the same problem on Cylinder 6 about 2 weeks ago!

Common causes: spark plugs, ignition coil, fuel injector... mine turned out to be the fuel injector... and yes I ran fuel injector cleaner throughout the car.

Switch out ignition coil with another cylinder. Check to see if code moves to another cylinder.
Replace spark plug.
And lastly replace fuel injector... My fuel injector's resistance tested good, and it STILL ended up being the problem

Members online

No members online now.