Misfire frustration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, It's been awhile since I've posted. I'm having a misfire issue on cylinder #1. It started about a month ago after towing a U-Haul trailer around helping the kids move into their new apartment. I had already planned on upgrading my fuel injectors to the Denso 4 hole injectors and did install those into my KK no issues (didn't expect them to be the source of my misfire). To tackle the misfire I installed New NGK plugs even though I only had about 12k on the set, installed New MSD coils, and New AC Delco brand plug wires. The misfire persists. Symptoms are after sitting an hour or so it will misfire upon restarting. Lasts about 5-10 seconds and then runs perfectly. The longer it sits, the worse the misfire is. Sitting overnight or longer usually results in a dead mis until the 5-10 seconds elapse and it clears up. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards head gasket as I am not having any issues with the TPCM.

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, It's been awhile since I've posted. I'm having a misfire issue on cylinder #1. It started about a month ago after towing a U-Haul trailer around helping the kids move into their new apartment. I had already planned on upgrading my fuel injectors to the Denso 4 hole injectors and did install those into my KK no issues (didn't expect them to be the source of my misfire). To tackle the misfire I installed New NGK plugs even though I only had about 12k on the set, installed New MSD coils, and New AC Delco brand plug wires. The misfire persists. Symptoms are after sitting an hour or so it will misfire upon restarting. Lasts about 5-10 seconds and then runs perfectly. The longer it sits, the worse the misfire is. Sitting overnight or longer usually results in a dead mis until the 5-10 seconds elapse and it clears up. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards head gasket as I am not having any issues with the TPCM.
Could be MAP sensor in front on intake manifold, see YouTube for location, not to bad of a job. Also see Youtube

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, solved it. It's a head gasket issue. Can't post all of the pictures but it appears to only be leaking from the gasket itself. But hey, The cross hatching looks pretty good for 136K

Xterra4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a bad new coil you replaced!

dtennes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the odo?

Members online

No members online now.