CV and intermediate axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speecebot5000

Reaction score
So it looks like I'll be doing a driver side CV and intermediate axle change in the next week. Any tips or tricks? Just changed the wheel bearing so was half way there already. Do both ball joints need popped or can you get by with just doing one? Any bearings that can be changed in the front diff during the process - if so is it recommended?

Symptoms - EXCESSIVE road noise starting around 35-40. Sounds like road noise produced from oversized off-road tires (which I don't have). Seems isolated to front driver side.

New to the forum - new to me 06 KJ. 110k miles - body is perfect, service has been meticulous(9 page carfax of all service) Thought was a wheel bearing (so now I have the 35mm and e14 sockets) but switched it out and no change. Removed front driveshaft after reading about the front CV joint failures on it and no change either. New brakes and rotors around 10k miles ago. Has goodyear sr-a on it that have about 70% tread. Previous owner has them rotated every couple thousand miles per Carfax. There is a brand new balanced sr-a on the back and I stuck on to see if it was tire noise and nothing changed so I think I've exhausted all the easy options.

Great forum and thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks tommudd - I'm in Columbus so nice to see someone local.

IF you need anything have been messing with these KJs for over 12 years so far. Have 4, 3 running , one not but have done almost everything there is to do to one, over 35 lifts , installing new diffs etc
But let me know even on this be glad to give you a few pointers
I'm not far from Easton
If you see this one it's me, my " new DD "
You must be registered for see images attach

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intermediate shaft is on the passenger side, not drivers side where you say you're hearing noises. Make sure which side the noise is coming from to avoid tearing apart the wrong side.

Speecebot5000

Reaction score
Gotcha. I incorrectly assumed there was one on each side. Even though I wrench my own stuff I've not had a 4x4 before - lots to learn. I did ask a friend earlier today to take a ride with me tomorrow to help verify it was just the drivers side. So just CV half shaft then on drivers side - no intermediate.

Speecebot5000

Reaction score
Nice - I'm sure I'll be asking you lots of questions ...I'm sure of that. Are those the rubicon rims? I like'em. Already looked for a set.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice - I'm sure I'll be asking you lots of questions ...I'm sure of that. Are those the rubicon rims? I like'em. Already looked for a set.

Yes Rubicon MOAB wheels from 03-06 TJs
Work great on lifted KJs except you have to run wider tires really since they are 8 inches wide

Speecebot5000

Reaction score
So I ended up taking a couple hours off work this afternoon and did both of the cv's with remanded Napa cv's. The intermediate shaft pulled out with the passenger cv but a couple hammer hits on the end of the old cv tube and it came out pretty easily after all. All splines were intact with absolutely no signs of wear. The o-ring was still in tact as well. When seated it felt nice and tight and there didn't appear to be any wear to it so it went back in. Soooo...now I have new CV's but the noise is still there - no change at all.

I'm pretty convinced the sound is coming from both sides. I pulled out the carfax and need to revise my statement about the tires above. It looks like they were put on 05/2012 @ 69k miles and have maybe around half tread. No documented rotation until 02/13 @78k miles then 09/13 with 86k miles then not again until 3/15 with 104k miles. Another on 12/15 with 107k miles and I did it yesterday at 110k(no change in noise). Seems like some long times between rotating - I'm wondering if the tires are just worn uneven? Thoughts?

Last edited:

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same noise when I am driving mine. Sounds like off road tires at around 65-75mph. There is no shimmy in the steering wheel or vibrations like you would feel with an out of round tire. Since I first heard it back in November/ December I have had the tires balanced and rotated and the noise is still there. So I am interested to see what others have to say about it. Especially since I thought it might have been the wheel hub but you changed yours and its still there for you.

Speecebot5000

Reaction score
I just did drivers sides and passenger side was done 1k miles ago - I'm assuming they were trying to chase down the cause of the noise too.

Tonight I'm going to put it on stands and run it in 4wheel to see if the noise is there or not. If not looks like I'm getting tires. If it is I'll probably take it in to dealer for diagnosis.

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do my wheel hubs because I dont know when they were done last. and same with the CV axles, plus i have a popping sound when turning.

My noise could very well be tires as well, I just know that to me it sounds like off road tires, but I hear in the cabin of the vehicle more than I do outside. With windows up I hear it. Its not drowning out conversation or the radio, its just something I hear and it annoys me.

Speecebot5000

Reaction score
Popping when turning is a sign of bad CV's but I've read a few posts saying that the Liberty CV's sometimes don't click/pop in turns when they are bad for what it's worth.

Mine were pretty tight yet and I was skeptical they were the issue once I pulled them but I needed to do so (on passenger side) to check out the intermediate shaft. I plan on doing a little wheeling with it and at 100k miles I feel good knowing I have new ones in for ~$135 bucks and a few hours of work.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're hearing the noise while inside the Jeep more than outside it could be the CV joint on the transfer case end of the front driveshaft. It sits right under the driver's seat and the range of noises that come from that CV as it's going (or gone) is amazing. Everything from squeaks to pops to groans to whistles.

Take a look at it after you read through the "How to replace a front driveshaft head" sticky in the How-To section.

Bob

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that I have no idea if it was ever changed I am going to pull the driveshaft out and order both ends just to be safe and have it done. I also looked over the recommended HOW-TO sticky and understand what needs to be done.

Now that being said, I know I can drive it without the front drive shaft installed as long as I dont engage 4wd. My question is can it be driven for a few hundred miles and at interstate speeds in this manner? I am going out of town for the 4th and taking the jeep.

I can leave it all together if need be, but I also wanted to see if removing the driveshaft would eliminate the noise I have been hearing, but I dont want to cause any other damage. Might be a dumb question, just not used to the 4wd vehicles as much as other vehicles so I want to verify.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, you can take out the front driveshaft and drive around as long as you want - as long as you DON'T engage 4WD.

If the CV boot looks anything like the picture in the How-To you'll know at least some kind of noise was coming from there ;)

Bob

Speecebot5000

Reaction score
Update to my road noise saga. Put it up on stands tonight and ran it in 4HI and no noise like I experience on the road. As I drove around today I think the noise was a bit worse - probably due to the rotation I just did that probably put the tires back where they were just a few 1000 miles ago - maybe the issue was corrected and they were starting to wear straight again?? Who knows. Anyway I think I have it narrowed down and have an appt tomorrow at Goodyear for an alignment check and tire check. Hopefully fixed before the weekend!

southernwake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you have it narrowed down now!

I removed the front driveshaft after work yesterday. The boot on the CV joint is torn all the way around and the CV joint takes some pressure to move. My experience driving it this morning was with windows down I heard road noise at around 30-40mph. I got on the highway and ran up her up to 65-70mph with windows up and it was a significant improvement in cabin noise for sure!

Attachments

• CV joint.jpg
    CV joint.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, you can take out the front driveshaft and drive around as long as you want - as long as you DON'T engage 4WD.

If the CV boot looks anything like the picture in the How-To you'll know at least some kind of noise was coming from there ;)

Bob

What will happen if he puts it in 4x4?