cut down terraflex bumpstops?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope, just my "husky" self :). Maybe a lot of weight is shifting forward since the back end is still a little high. I won't worry about it now that its notched. Rear upper control arm ball joint is bad, so now I gotta decide on doing the bushings and ball joint or just buy the whole assy, which would be a lot easier.....

Weight transfer is a possibility I suppose, but still...

Even KJ's running ARB front bumpers don't often have contact between UCA ball joints and the bumpstops. I think you have more research in your future :waytogo:

As for the rear tri-link, you may have good fortune pressing in new bushings and ball joint but take a good look at the unit and inspect for corrosion. If there's anything past surface rust - and since you live in sandy, salt water Florida it will probably be worse than that - be prepared to replace the entire unit. Frankly it's much easier that R&Ring the unit and the bushings/ball joint.

Bob

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just order my bushings and ball joint from Napa. Hopefully the metal won't be to bad. I spray under the jeep monthly. Or I'll be buying the boomerang too!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
weight transfer?
You'd have to have a 400 plus lb bowling ball rolling forward everytime to do that
I still think something else is going on
Pictures of distance between the UCA and bumpstop if you could

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
He posted a picture of it earlier (post #16), but you have to stand on your head to view it!

My friend in Australia says it looks fine to him! :hidesbehindsofa:

You must be registered for see images attach

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've notched my extended bumpstops to prevent the zerk grease fitting from snapping off.
I have an 04 Liberty (a gasser) with a 2.5" spacer lift and JBA UCA's.
Since installing the new UCA's I haven't flexed my suspension enough to make contact with the bumpstops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend in Australia says it looks fine to him! :hidesbehindsofa:
I take it this picture is with the tires on the pavement? Add up the measurement of all gaps between the spring coils, and see how that compares to the stop/UCA spacing. With that much of a space, it's hard to believe your springs are compressing that far from braking or running over a dime in the street.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, my pic was with it on the ground, I'll do some more testing now that I have notched it. I'll steal some chalk from my kids and see if there is any further contact. My next issue is an axle seal and rear upper control arm bushings and BJ. The fun we have keeping our rides going...

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wellll...... After further investigation, there is no contact. I do have a strange single knock when using brakes and hit a bump on left front. I may have a bad zerk fitting that oozes and shoots a bit of grease up on the bumpstop. This is why I thought I had contact. I have check brake caliper and mount bolts. Still have that sound.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I have this slight knock up front, left side it seems to me, mostly when I take off from a stop. Doesn't really sound like an engine mount, but it could be I guess. Don't hear it over bumps. I do get a noise in back once in a while, which may be the boomerang.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wellll...... After further investigation, there is no contact. I do have a strange single knock when using brakes and hit a bump on left front. I may have a bad zerk fitting that oozes and shoots a bit of grease up on the bumpstop. This is why I thought I had contact. I have check brake caliper and mount bolts. Still have that sound.

Don't feel bad. I have this slight knock up front, left side it seems to me, mostly when I take off from a stop. Doesn't really sound like an engine mount, but it could be I guess. Don't hear it over bumps. I do get a noise in back once in a while, which may be the boomerang.

Hey guys, you may want to check the sway bar links. I had knocks and bangs that drove me crazy - thought everything was tightened up just fine but the sway bar links were aftermarket not OEM and they just didn't fit right. Once I put in the OEM links all the noises went away.

When I replaced the diffs back in the fall at Mudd's Garage we went for a test drive and Tom heard them bang when we pulled out of the garage. He and I torqued everything down with the weight of the KJ on the wheels so he knew we didn't miss anything. Told him I'd aged 5 years trying to figure it out :emotions122:

Replaced them within a week of the diff swap and I was finally able to sleep at night again.. :icon_mrgreen:

Bob

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I identified the noise from the front left side when I would hit a bump, a loose inner wheel well. One of the plastic rivets was missing. Access through the fog light door allowed me to place a fender washer over a pop rivet, now the liner doesn't move so much. Should be all fixed. I think the check ball in the upper ball joint zerk is bad. Still wiping off the grease.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I identified the noise from the front left side when I would hit a bump, a loose inner wheel well. One of the plastic rivets was missing. Access through the fog light door allowed me to place a fender washer over a pop rivet, now the liner doesn't move so much. Should be all fixed. I think the check ball in the upper ball joint zerk is bad. Still wiping off the grease.

Throw another in and see if it is or not, sometimes if they are not screwed all the way down in they will also squirt some grease up out. Nickle repair .