cut down terraflex bumpstops?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My upper control arms are contacting the bumpstops when I brake and hit something as small as a lane reflector. This can't be normal. Should I have cut them down some?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifted? Miles on springs? Setup? Whatcha got?

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
middle of hub to bottom of the flare where are you now?
Yes you could cut but you shouldn't be that close i wouldn't think

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird man. I'm running almost the same setup? and I don't hit. I'm sure it travels a decent amount but I've yet to feel it bottom out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't see where they are hitting when going over lane reflectors, no way they can be if everything was installed right
If you are at 22.75 then there is way more room than what you are talking about

We need a measurement between the bumpstops and UCAs sitting still

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know it's the bump stop your hitting? Sounds like it's some thing else going on like sway bar links or a number of other things.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's when it use the brakes, nose natural dives, and I hit a bump as small as a reflector. I know it is hitting because I wipe the bumpstop clean, go drive it for the day, then find a small glob of grease where the grease fitting on the A arm has made contact with the bumpstop. I think I will notch out that contact spot this weekend. I will also remeasure my lift. Forgot to this morning.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
We always notch them before we even install them. be careful if it does hit then you could break the zerk off

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno if you did this or not, but did you make sure the new shocks worked correctly before mounting up? I always run new shocks or struts thru a few strokes to make sure they function before going thru all the work of install. Habit I learned from using Gabriel junk for a while.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought them preassembled from Marlin. I know what you mean about Gabriel shocks!
The ones in my kit were OME. I will notch them this weekend and also measure the center to fender lip again.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this happens with the SLIGHTEST bump, why don't you take a video? Get someone to hold the camera pointed into the wheel well, then you go push the front of the jeep down and let it bounce back up. That way we can see if the shocks are properly doing the job, everything is installed correctly, and what exactly is hitting where.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after you notch the bumpstop. chalk the top of the ubj and see if it still hits and transfers to bumpstop.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am at 21.75". And the distance between bumpstop and tip of grease fitting is 2.5". Yes the pic is upside down. That really would have been a messed up install job. Lol

Attachments

• 20140118_102958.jpg
    20140118_102958.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I am at 21.75". And the distance between bumpstop and tip of grease fitting is 2.5". Yes the pic is upside down. That really would have been a messed up install job. Lol

Well thats your promblem....you installed it upside down...

No. Really, your at the right height.

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything looks right - distance between the ball joint and the bumpstop looks correct. But still makes no sense at all that you'd have contact over even the slightest bump.

I drove some serious trails last summer and only compressed enough to hit the bumpstops a couple of times - and I was running on some severe off-camber trails and rock gardens with large boulders.

You're not running anything real heavy up front are you?

Bob

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope, just my "husky" self :). Maybe a lot of weight is shifting forward since the back end is still a little high. I won't worry about it now that its notched. Rear upper control arm ball joint is bad, so now I gotta decide on doing the bushings and ball joint or just buy the whole assy, which would be a lot easier.....