Custom Cold Air Intake Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ2005

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a cold air intake tube that would just replace the rubber accordion stock piece.

I have had K&N inatakes on previous vehicles and they are great but it seems like all the cold air intakes look like the K&N style with an open air filter and though it may be alittle more horse power just wouldn't be to pratical, and get dirty, even wet, off road.

My thiking is replace the stock paper filter with the K&N 332233 and using the stock box for protection from mud and dirt but have a solid tube that will help the airflow from box to intake.

If anyone has in after market intake kit , please respond with how well it performs along with maintainace off road.

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you shouldnt get the kandN. Their filtration is terrible, and the efficiency isnt much better than paper. Go for the paper.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes there are many opinions out there on this, u could read till ur dead on just this subject, i have my own opinion, but research it and make a decision, thats what i did, and always stay away from just doing what people tell u what they think u should do, its bad advise, ive given that kind too but read and decide, here are some things to consider:

hi flow filters often dont provide as good of filtration, this is usually most critical when off roading, sone die hards swap w paper for the trail

re oiling the filters, is tricky, if u do it wrong, u can ruin your mass air flow sensor (oil too much), or let in tones of dust(not enough oil) , some die hards just buy a new one instead

extra dust in the motor leads to more wear and tear on engine parts. however just like no one will dare quantify hp boost, for those against, they wont quantify how much engine life u lose by using k&n either

ur liberty was maticulously designed to die at about 150k miles, no matter what u do to it. regularly maintenenced filtration of any kind is always better than poor maintenence ( well maintained k&n vs poorly maintained paper, just somthing to think about) poorly maintained vehicles still make it to 150k but they leak more have less power, worse mpg ect ect. how long do u plan to own it?

if u are worried about what goes in your intakes, your egr is dumping unfiltered exhaust gas in ur intake all the time, thats got all kinds of goodies that will shorten the engines life.

the k&n will probably hasten the death of ur engine, but to what extent and weather you should put one in is something i cant answer for u, no one can but u so know what ur doing and make the call.

there are other lifetime filters out there now that dont use oil amsoil makes one of them , i dont know much about it, may b worth looking into

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one more thing i forgot, if u offroad with it a lot it u prolloy wear it our even faster than 150k miles. another thing i was thinking is finding another car that has a filter w more surface area and adapting it on even if u use paper, u get more air in there, or go buy one of those big rig barrels that hang off the side strapp it on hehehehe