Cruise Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toymanjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my '06, didn't realize it didn't have cruise control until I was on the way home with it. Who in the hell builds a car without cruise ... Chrysler!

Fussed and fumed about it, and found Rosta did a kit for the Liberty. But....didn't like the "add-on" look. Kept looking, and found Jeeps-r-us had a "factory" kit. Talked to the and was ASSURED that it was a "plug & play" installation, yah, heard that before. Had my wife order the kit, then got a call from them, she had ordered the set for 2.4 instead of 3.7. Puttzed around for a couple of days, then looked at the email they had sent with the invoice. It was for a 2.4 ! Called them and was assured that they sent the correct unit....yah, right. Got the kit in the mail, about an hour later I had factory cruise on my Liberty! The biggest problem I had was figuring out how to unplug the installed horn wire so I could us the one in the included loom. Jeeps-r-us...great guys, great service !

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could ypu please tell me how does it work? I got mine with cruise control but I have been unable to activate so far. I'm thinking it is out of order..... Tks!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Blackhawk, what year is your KJ? I'm thinking there are different kits for different years. I think 06 (07 for sure) and up has drive by wire (electronic throttle) so the cruise is therefore electronic. 05 and older still has a throttle cable with vacuum operating the cruise. So if you have an 05 or older I would look at the vacuum lines. 06/07, maybe the clockspring? My LR3 has drive by wire and its cruise control quit under warranty once, new clockspring fixed it. It's also possible the contacts on the buttons could be worn but I doubt that.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 on up is drive by wire, so my install was just ordering the controls and the wiring harness for the wheel, and then flashing the system to recognize cruise. 06 one down requires the full kit.

Toymanjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '06 has a throttle cable, not fly by wire. All of the connections, including vacuum, were already installed in the Jeep. "Plug-N-Play"!

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blackhawk, what year is your KJ? I'm thinking there are different kits for different years. I think 06 (07 for sure) and up has drive by wire (electronic throttle) so the cruise is therefore electronic. 05 and older still has a throttle cable with vacuum operating the cruise. So if you have an 05 or older I would look at the vacuum lines. 06/07, maybe the clockspring? My LR3 has drive by wire and its cruise control quit under warranty once, new clockspring fixed it. It's also possible the contacts on the buttons could be worn but I doubt that.

My '06 has a throttle cable instead of drive by wire!!

The system is original.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you post a link to the kit you found on jeepsrus i cant find it. i never noticed my jeep didnt have cruise until i was driving home with it.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to say something snarky about how the hell did you guys miss the fact it didn't have cruise installed, but them i'm the moron who somehow missed the fact that 07's are drive-by-slow-electrons instead of cable controlled... which is a major suckage with a stick shift.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to say something snarky about how the hell did you guys miss the fact it didn't have cruise installed, but them i'm the moron who somehow missed the fact that 07's are drive-by-slow-electrons instead of cable controlled... which is a major suckage with a stick shift.

because I specifically wanted an 05 3.7 MT, not only did i find that but it only had 83000kms. i was so excited i forgot to look for cruise control, but honestly it would not have been a deal breaker anyways

Members online

No members online now.